My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

I got those wedding dress blues

Actually, I have quite the contrary as Justin has dug out the bin from the "Timmy closet" which stored my wedding dress. The dress looks like brand-new yet, but is wrinkled from being in the bin so tightly layered. Justin is having a fit, seeing my 'tiny' dresses from 100 years ago (ahem, ahem), some which he has declared to be 'vintage'. 

One particular dress was a favorite of mine, made for me by my sister, Lynn, when I was in high school. It looks exactly like something I would wear now, if I could. The dress of many colors was worn with tights, depending upon the day---I wore turquoise tights, or maize or purple...Boy, I loved that dress! Justin wanted to lend it to his friend, Rose, to wear because she likes 'vintage' clothes but I said no to that.

One dress, which I called my panther dress, I used to wear with black lace up boots. I think the dress, one of the few store-bought ones I had, was purchased at Maurices' in the Mid-Cities Mall. In the bin was also a wool suit that Mom made for me to wear to my sister-in-law's wedding in 1973. The skirt is as long as it is wide, a mini-skirt, green and blue plaid. The uncontructed jacket was solid green and I wore a gold blouse with it. And the black boots!

Two of my dresses which were made by Mom or one of my sisters (I am sorry if I can't remember who made them) which I wore for our Junior/Senior banquets (1973 and 1974) are in there, too. The same pattern as my 'formal' for the '74 banquet was used for the wedding dress, which was only a few months later. 

There are two crew-neck solid colored sweaters in the bin, bought for me by my dad when he and I went shopping. Yes, my dad took me shopping, as he was teaching me how to drive. Those two sweaters were pretty tame, and I think I wore one of them for my Senior class picture. At the bottom of the bin is a cowl-necked blue marled yarn sweater which my boyfriend had gotten me in 1972. I wore it for my class picture when I was a Junior, I think. Time to get out the yearbook, it seems!  
This is NOT how I wore my hair on the actual wedding day. The circle of flowers was on top of my head, around a bun. 

A young lady from the congregation might be able to wear my wedding dress (it is not considered a gown, though Justin teases me that it's a nightie!) and she will try it on Thursday night after church. I hope she can wear it and agrees to model it. Her mom has to work that day so Meghan will be my daughter for the event. Yay!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember some of those dresses. I didn't realize that you kept your dresses from the Junior/Senior banquets. You should lay them out and take pictures and post them.
Jilly

Kim Lahaie Day said...

What a good idea, Jilly Willy!

I have both the Junior year one and the Senior year one. The SR one is more subdued, already in 'getting married' mode, I guess. Sure wish I'd kept the boots, too!

Those were the days!!

Hugs, Kim

Anonymous said...

Bringing back memories. ..how times have changed. Telling the kids we had no such thing as prom, court, or dances! Just a junior senior banquet with maybe a magician for entertainment. I did not save any clothing though....thanks Kim!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jill you should take pics of the dresses and post.
Wht a beautiful bride you were and look at the hair so much of it! Hard to take care of though right? I am going to go back to the shorter hair style too. Just blow and go! :)

Linda M said...

Good Morning Kim!!!
I remember the tights.I remember you wearing maxi dresses, probably a poncho, some kind of huge purse.You were alittle out there and I loved it!!!
If we sold our prom dresses now, they would be able to make 2 dresses from one with all the material we wasted on sleeves, shoulders, backs, collars!!!

Still Out there in WI,
Linda M

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Dear Anonymous:

Thanks so much for your comments. I think one of you might be Julia S. I will consider the photographing of the outfits but I really MUST attack my desk first. I've been negligent!

Thanks for the compliment about being a beautiful bride. As I stated in the blog, I didn't wear my hair like that on my wedding day...I think it was wishful thinking by the hairdresser!

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda M.:

Tights are back in style, as my sister, Lynn, wears them with her dresses.

I appreciate your comments greatly, I hope you know that!

My sweater poncho (multi-colored) and a tie-dyed leather purse made by my sister, Lori, with fringes, for part of high school. I also carried a knapsack in high school, bought from the Army/Navy Surplus store, just ahead of my time, I guess!

Hugs,

Kim