My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Monday, May 12, 2014

Fuzzy Pickles!

This morning I went to Precious Lambs Preschool at church to take pictures of the little ones who are graduating to kindergarten this year. They are leaving our flock, this safer haven, for the big world beyond. It has been my pleasure to take these photos in the past and to do so again today. Originally I arranged to do this at 9:00 a.m. to get done before Bible study but then that class was cancelled yet again. I told Michael I could come later then but he was fine with the time we set up.
Lisa helping the little guy with the gown

Those kids are so darling, especially because they are THAT age, 5 years old. At first they started out sitting nicely on the carpet awaiting their turn but then the jitters got into the legs. They can really move around without actually standing up!!! Lisa, the assistant teacher, put the gown on the kid, tied on the white 'bib' thing, and used a clothes pin to tighten up the neckline so it wouldn't droop. And then, the fun part, balancing the mortar board on their teeny heads! To get them to smile for me, I would say, "Fuzzy pickles!" and they'd show some teeth, many smiles missing a tooth or two. These photos will be used for a slide presentation Michael puts together for the graduation event at the end of the year. I wanted to do the photos now rather than when Linda was here and get it out of the way. Done!

Tonight I went back to church for a stewardship session. There were about 9 of us in total, which is the group size the leaders were looking for. I sat with Mike S. and Judy C., plus another Mike and his wife. We had to do those breakout things but we are entirely uncooperative. Not deliberately so, but it just works out that one of us ends being the 'reporter' anyway. The subject matter was hard to follow so it was clumsy work at best. We had a ton of information to go through in an hour and a half, about our personal finances and our attitudes towards them, etc.

Justin was going to make some burgers for our dinner but during the class I got a text message from him saying he'd shut off the burners and accepted a dinner invitation from his boss. I taught him well! I wrote back to ask if he had made any burgers or if I had to stop on the way home and he wrote back, "Can you stop?" I did!  He went to a new place, one Will was familiar with from Orlando days, and had the most excellent beef brisket he's ever had. I envy him his delight, because I also once had the best brisket ever at Bono's in Middleburg. He couldn't stop talking about it after I got home from the meeting. Funny he didn't load me in the car right then and there to take to this place! It's called Four Rivers, named after the owner, I guess, and he loved loved loved it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another great post. I stop and read whenever I see it. I commented the other day about the song Everlasting Arms. Last night we were watching a great old movie " The Human Comedy" and they sang that song. A great movie with Mickey Rooney from 1943.

Judy Lorenz

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Thank you for being so faithful a reader and commenter, Judy! I greatly appreciate it!

Hugs,

Kim