My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, May 16, 2014

The day is behind me

It wasn't a dreadful day for me but for some reason, I am glad to have it behind me. I think the 'unknown' about it is what had me in a bit of a stir facing the day. When Linda and I pulled into the parking lot at the school, I didn't expect to have to search for an empty space. We parked on the grass, with Judy pulling in just in front of us. Carol was not far behind, and then, to my surprise, Terri T. arrived. I couldn't believe it! 

I was thrilled to have these special ladies with me today. We found our way into the P.A.C. and were greeted promptly by the lady in charge plus the art teacher. They told me what to expect, etc. We were told to sit in the front rows in reserved seating, and Judy, the art teacher sat next to me. We agreed between us that I would go up on stage when she did, with me carrying the art piece I was donating to the school. I also had the envelopes with me which contained the prints I had made of the original art piece. The original framed picture was situated on the stage, toward the back, center. 
I had written a short speech to present but unfortunately my printer would not work. Then, the computer went into reset mode and I could not wait for it to finish doing that so left without it. I would have to wing it!  Plus, when I wrote it, I didn't know exactly what I was facing during the event. This might not make much sense, but my brain was going bonkers trying to handle this emotionally. 

We ladies sat through the presentation of various awards for the students, all the upper school kids, primarily for academics. It helped me to organize the envelopes according to name since I no longer knew the kids, except for a few. I did them all lined up, but when it was time to hand them out, they came to me. First, one teacher stood at the lectern and told how there should be one more graduate sitting with this class on stage but a tragic accident in pre-k took him from them. The two pre-k teachers present that day, including Timmy's, were asked to stand. All around us I could hear people sniffling as tears ran down my cheeks. On the screen above us were the pictures of Timmy with his class, which I had sent to them, plus a picture of his art piece. 

Next, Judy, the art teacher, was asked to come up to tell the story of the painting and up we went. I carried the piece I was donating with me, plus the envelopes with the prints. By this time I was fairly well composed, thinking of what I was going to say. Terri took some pictures and a video which she is sending later. I can't recall right now who gave me the package and the picture. The picture showed the students who were in Timmy's class then holding up his bench and the little statue that I put there. Around the edge of the picture were the kids' signatures, just like on the edge of the painting they finished for him. 

The wrapped gift was a copy of the yearbook for this year, with a tribute on one of the pages from the class about Timmy. I handed out the envelopes, said a few words of thanks, acknowledged my lady friends who were there supporting me. I cannot even tell you what I said...I only hope I made sense. Another teacher gave me a hydrangea in a blue pot to have as a reminder of graduation since that is customarily what is on the stage during the ceremony. She also mentioned Justin being Timmy's older brother and graduating in 2006. This plant would remind me of his graduation and put me in mind of what Timmy's would have been like. All very touching gifts, with great sentiment. When I returned to my seat, those around me said I had done well. I hope I didn't make a fool of myself. 

Carol couldn't join us but the rest of us went to Pengrees to have lunch. I really needed to unwind a bit which these ladies could let me do. Terri even asked the waitress if they had any adult beverages! Of course, they don't do that there but it was fun to ask. Jackie and her husband were there having lunch, too, and she was tickled to see her fellow church ladies come piling into the place. We had a very good lunch, great visit, and in my case, leftovers! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a very moving event! I am so happy I could be there for you!

Linda J

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Dear Linda:

It meant everything to me to have you and the other ladies there with me, sniffling together, with all those folks!

Thanks for making the trip!

Hugs,

Kim