My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Thursday, September 11, 2014

A day of remembrance

Today is the day we remember the Muslim terror attacks on our soil, using this nation's airplanes to attack the financial district, the hub of our military, plus the foiled attempt to hit the US capital building in Washington, DC. Our nation remembers the souls lost in the buildings, on the planes, those doing the rescuing, and those simply walking down the street, minding their own business. If that had not taken place in 2001, the same year that Timmy died, I'd say this event was the worst thing to happen that year. Pastor Hoyer had preached a powerful sermon that New Year's Eve, looking back on the terrible events of 2001, but my former spouse and I reflected back to the loss of our son instead....

I checked for programs on the cable channels recounting that fateful day's events, thinking I might even stay home from Bible study to watch them. I found nothing in the daytime hours, so I went to class. When I got there I expressed my desire to watch the shows which recap where people were when the attacks came, who survived and how, and memorials for those lost. I liken it to biting on a sore tooth, watching these programs offered every year at this time. A couple of the guys in the group basically scoffed at my wishing to watch the shows, asking why I would want to see them, urging in not so loving ways to just let it go. Nice!  And that, my friends, is why this can happen again in the future!
A vertical rainbow on the river this afternoon, another remembrance that God made for us, His Promise

Not to be deterred, I did check the TV Guide on-line to see what was being offered the rest of the day, finding more programs later in the schedule. Good! But first, I accepted an invitation to join some friends for dinner at Pasta Market. Mike S. had told us that they'd had a one day forced close following a health inspection (Yikes!) so we wanted to show Sam our support by going in to eat. Unfortunately, Mike had a meeting at church tonight but Michael, Judy, Betty, and I were able to go. We were the only dine-in guests so I am quite glad we did go. Sam told us he is bringing in deli service to provide sandwiches and other type fare in hopes of gaining more customers during the lunch hours. Plus he is getting a refrigerated glass case for displaying his desserts. Now, that's a good idea because seeing sells!
I ordered a personal-sized pizza for my meal and this is what Sam made for me---a 12" pizza!!  Obviously, I had leftovers...

No comments: