My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, October 17, 2014

My brain needs a break

The world has gone mad and me right along with it---at least I feel that way sometimes. The 'panic' being generated by the news reports of the scattered cases of Ebola in our country have many people in a state of distress. It is not easy to keep up with the reports because with the deluge of information, it's difficult to sort out what is hyperbole and what is fact. 

This late morning I met Judy C. and Terri T. at church to help set-up the Fellowship Hall for a funeral reception which will be tomorrow. Judy's daughter lost her father-in-law, and Michael offered to prepared the food for the after service meal and gathering. As soon as I read that the reception was to be at church, I called Judy to offer my assistance, as did Terri. We three ladies made quick work to getting the tables set and chairs put around them, and basically have the room ready for guests. We are set up for 80 adults and even a kids' table for the littler ones.

Judy suggested we go have some lunch and we ladies were more than ready to do so. She chose Pengrees as she and I both enjoy their country fried steak. Instead, though, all three of us had the pot roast special, just like eating at home! When we were leaving church we met up with Twila and Jean who were coming to set things for a different meal---the Lord's Supper. Then, as Judy, Terri and I sat at our table eating, we looked up to see Twila and Jean coming across the parking lot! That was funny! We'd not said a thing to them about going to lunch and there they were. Love those two ladies!

Oddly enough, I came home empty handed, no to-go box with me, as I ate all the beef and the green beans, and my roll. I left some of the mashed potatoes behind, no need to haul them home. I remarked to the ladies that Justin would be puzzled with me not having a box in hand! I have several lined up in the fridge from various venues this week, including one from last night's meal at The Club. It was Pat G.'s birthday so Maggie O. and Ellen plus me were invited to help her celebrate. The Club gives a free meal to the birthday girl, and I was glad to be again included in the fun. So half my Delmonico steak and baked potato came home with me, plus my appetizer which Justin might like. Grits with a sauce and lobster on top---ewww!
My neighbor, Sharon, captured the storm which came through on Tuesday afternoon. It became as dark as night for a while and windy as blazes with sideways rain. Batten down the hatches!

We had some cooler temperatures overnight lately but nice and warm during the day. The manatees are back in the basin, seemingly enjoying the warm sun on their backs. The light catches them which then catches my eye. Today is in the low 80's and the sky is cloudless. On the weekend we shall see mid-80's yet only the hardy among us will dive into the freshly cleaned pools. We had a terrible storm roll through on Tuesday afternoon which made a mess of things outdoors, including in the pools. Not appetizing at all for going for a dip!

No comments: