My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Saturday, November 1, 2014

On the mend

Today was a good day, feeling like nothing happened to me. Still on the soft diet for the most part but stepping out a bit with some Halloween candy. Justin went to the store to get fresh spinach for me today and came back with a wonderful surprise. He had me close my eyes and hold out my hand---a chocolate covered cherry! Yes, Halloween must be over because the Christmas candy is out! Dark chocolate covered cherries---my favorite! They are on the menu of foods to be served at my funeral. Justin told me today to not die in June because these would be hard to get at that time of the year. I suggested he get them at Beerntsen's in Manitowoc, but that would be expensive!

Several people have contacted me and asked how I was doing. Nancy W. I suspect wants to go and do something but is patiently waiting for me to be free to go. She told me a funny story today---her neighbor and she were cleaning up around the pool on their part of the property following a party held there last night. The temps dropped dramatically overnight and it was incredibly windy today. While they were cleaning, the wind caught Gail and into the pool she went. Oh, brrrr....Nancy nicely took a photo of Gail climbing out of the water, like a good friend would! Two patio umbrellas also ended up in the pool before they were all done. NOT a good day to be poolside, or in the pool! Poor Gail!
   
                  Nancy and Burnie sitting poolside before winter came

In the past couple of weeks I've experienced some losses---my family room TV, my cell phone, and my printer. What in the world is that all about?  Justin researched and found me an inexpensive TV which, if ordered online via VyStar, got me a discount and cash back. Yes, it has a smaller screen and is smaller overall, simply because the 'old' TV was so large and bulky. I would have thought that almost 8 years was young yet for a TV but I guess not. Connie actually took it down for me on a rolling trolly thing she has for moving stuff. My neighbor is taking the old one to his son to see if he could fix it, or harvest parts from it. Best wishes to him, as I'm just glad it's gone from the living room. 

Then, Justin researched my phone and plan before we went to Sprint to check it out.  What he/we thought would work did not turn out that way, too many loopholes. To replace my phone with the exact same one would have cost me more money than to get the new iPhone. Now I only have additional cost per month for insurance because the phone is leased for 2 years. Okay, fine, so now I'm modern, even more modern than before. That whole thing really ticked me off, though, because I should have had at least 2 upgrades coming and with the loopholes, nope. 

I am thankful to Justin for treating me to dinner from Panda Express after haggling with the phone people. Ugh! Who would think a phone (my old one) would swell up like that? And wouldn't you know my phone would die while sitting in the waiting area for our turn to be taken care of?? Fortunately, Justin was able to transfer my data from the old phone to the new one using his computer, in about 20 minutes' time as we ate our Chinese food. Already I'm accustomed to using the iPhone 6, and we look forward to getting our 'lifeproof' cases for our phones when they come out. I will appreciate the added protection, for sure, even though I have insurance on it now!

For the printer, I simply ordered a new one through Amazon, a bit smaller than its predecessor by an inch or two, but same brand and features. Bad thing was it won't use the same sized printer cartridges. I tried searching using the cartridge size first, but that didn't work. So, now I have three yellows, a magenta, and one black cartridge and no machine to use them in. I'll offer them to anyone who can use them. The ink costs almost as much a new machine after a few times. Which do I do---order more ink or replace the machine??

No comments: