My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

All straightened up

Today Justin had the day off and decided to make good use of his time. I had signed up to bring a kettle of soup for the Souper Supper at church tomorrow night. Justin offered to make (as I fully expected he would) his recipe for beer cheese soup. As he got busy making the soup, I urged him to keep a close eye on it as our stew pot has a tendency of sticking. Because he needed to keep an eye on the kettle, he got also got busy in the kitchen while listening to his podcasts. I came home from having lunch with my friend, Nancy, to find my kitchen torn apart. Well, at least part of it was....
Justin took care of a long-needed project

Many years ago my friend, Judy Rusert, came for a visit. She likes to cook, especially making soups. During one of our long conversations she asked me why it was I didn't care for cooking. It was asked in such a way that drew deep thinking on my part. Skipping to the end of the conversation, I determined I got nothing much out of standing in the kitchen stirring a pot. That was it. Plus, what is different here than in my other recent homes is having the kitchen a separate room from the rest of the house, somewhat isolated from whatever else was going on. Anyway, it was a good talk and helpful in determining the reason I prefer to be a consumer rather than a producer in the kitchen.
Judy and me on the cruise in 2007, when we became friends...actually, kindred spirits!

Using a step stool is frowned upon by my boy so when Justin left home the first time, we moved much of the frequently used items to the lowest shelves in the cabinets so I could easily reach them. So, now the cabinets are being ordered in such a way for Justin's ease of finding and using the items stored in them. All I have to actually need ready access to is the silverware drawer and into the dishwasher! He can do the rest of the reaching and putting. 
Here is the now organized cabinet. Nothing in there with expired dates any longer. Pasta, anyone?

While he was at it, he moved over to the spice cabinet and got that straightened away. He wanted me to take these photos so we (I) could remember where everything goes once taken out. Justin also packed away my Christmas glasses, promising to retrieve them when the time comes. I shall hold him to that! Having them gone freed up shelf space which makes good sense, I guess, instead of using it for seldom used drinkware. The next project will be the hallway pantry which is getting like Fibber McGee's closet!

I am quite thankful to have this task completed as it was and to have the soup made for the Ash Wednesday souper supper, with some left for us to enjoy!

No comments: