My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The days of Fingerhut

This morning as I write I am also watching "Frasier" reruns, yes, again, and laughing my fool head off. The network carrying this show has some advertisers different than other channels I watch. One of those commercials is for catalog shopping (or is it now online shopping?) at Fingerhut. I was quite surprised to hear that name again after this many years, thinking, perhaps wrongly so, that this company was no more. 

One hundred years ago, actually more like 40 years ago, my former spouse and I bought our first set of dishes through Fingerhut. They were brown and gold, a complete set, for what seemed at that time a small amount of money. With the order came measuring cups and spoons, some of which I still have and use. I think there was something else that came with that purchase---"But wait! There's more!!!"---but I can't recall what it was. How funny to be seeing ads again for that long ago company. Or, was I simply watching the wrong channel???

Many of the things in my pantry and cabinets are that same age, even have one of my original hot pads which were part of set including curtains in our first apartment (and the 2nd, I'm sure...same year!). The famous mushroom motif that was the craze in that era. Hot pads, place mats, kitchen towels, and even the curtains, plus a matching serving dish with a stand under it where a votive candle is lit to keep the food hot. I still use it, too! 
Here is my mushroom topped candle heated casserole dish, a gift to me from my friend, Suzy, and another couple for my wedding. 

It is just such a hoot to see and hear that Fingerhut is still at it this many years later. I hope that they can remain in business a long, long time and also hope that the psychic advertisers on that same network go away quickly!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get a Fingerhut catalog every now and then and they say hurry and order this could be your last catalog from us. I like looking through them.

Jill Lahaie Schrimpf

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Are the prices still so good?