My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Monday, March 23, 2015

...and all is right with the world!

Yesterday was a normal Sunday, all of us back at the table. A friend of Betty's, Jean, accompanies her on Mondays to Bible study and then for lunch. And often on Sundays, we see her and a friend at Chili's after they get done with church. One day her friend waved at me as they went to their table, like she knew me. I found out the next day from Jean that I did indeed know her, from many years ago. Her name was Jan. I told Jean that the next time they come in I was going to greet her. 

This week though, we had our regular waitress, not a strange waiter like the week before where we had a problem with the menu choices. She brushed it off saying because we were regulars the other rules didn't apply. THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! I told her how we were wondering now where to go for lunch on Sundays because of that and she encouraged us not to. But, next week, after Easter, they are getting a new menu. The bad news? No more potato skins. Gasp! Now what will I order with my chicken crispers? This poor creature of habit...In the meantime, though, I still have my skins.

After we finished our meals, Justin had to get going to meet up with Jesse and the rest went their separate ways. I said good-bye to them and went to greet Jan and Jean. I sat on the bench next to Jan and quickly caught up news. Jan was married to my current neighbor at one time, and they had entertained my former spouse and me at their unit here in The Palace not long after Timmy died. My introduction to what life was like here. Then, a year or so later, we built them a home in EH. I think that Jan got divorced around the same time I did. When I bought this unit, she was the listing agent on the sale. Our paths had crossed one more time.

She moved away so I didn't see her again. However, her former spouse and his wife moved back into my building. I find this quite interesting how this stuff circles back to The Palace again. Jan moved back to OP after her husband died and met Jean at a grief group they were attending after losing their spouses. So now, we are reconnected through Jean. I gave her one of my cards so she can call me. And I have hers. We are all set.

As I was seated there, the regular manager came past the table and greeted me. He shook my hand and said it was good to see me, etc. I told him about our unfortunate experience last week and that my group was close to choosing another place to have our Sunday lunch. He assured me that we could order what we want, no problem, and we'd be well taken care of. I like the sounds of that and told him I'd let my companions know everything was going to be okay. I really have no idea where we would go instead so Chili's should be honored to have us! I am no longer a coward, as Mike said I was, for filling out the survey instead of speaking to the manager. Today I did speak to the manager, and did so in a calm, cool manner. It can be done!

No comments: