My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, June 26, 2015

It's pouring!

Connie gave me a frantic call this morning asking me to send out a quick e-mail to have the owners and tenants get outside to move their cars from the attached garage spaces. The concrete workers showed up relatively unannounced and obviously unexpected to do some work for us. I am not sure how this happened but what a flurry of activity that was!! The men were there to pour concrete splash blocks to deflect that water which runs out of the scuppers. The water comes down with enough force to break up the blacktop so these fellows cut out squares in the blacktop to make forms for the concrete. Supposedly the concrete can take it, which we will soon find out!
I took this photo on the walk over to the pool. I felt badly for them working in the heat and they assured me they had water to drink to keep cool. 

Those of us who were at the pool enjoyed ourselves, once again I had my delicious burger for lunch. People ask me, "What are you going to have today, Kim?" and then act surprised when I say "Cheeseburger!" We had a nice couple of hours before the gigantic rain drops started hitting the water. The way the sky looked, we decided not to wait it out and headed back to the condo. I feared earlier that rain might cause a problem for the freshly poured concrete. When I got back down the stairs from the pool, the guys were hurriedly covering the fresh poured areas as well as those readied for concrete. They had sheets of styrofoam (the type used to insulate homes on the exterior) kept in place with a concrete block. What a racket it was when the rain came out of the scuppers and down onto that foam! Deafening!

The rain was short-lived, thankfully, this time but my friend in Middleburg reported more rain was on the way. Nuts! It makes me wish I'd gone out to the pool sooner. Instead I just got comfy in my house and watched the rain come down. There was a break in the rain so the guys were able to put the finishing touches on the pads already poured, smoothing them out, etc. Because of the spacing of the pads, no one was able to park in the garage so had to use which ever spaces are available in the lot. I'm glad to have an extra space to lend to whomever needs it for the duration. Justin parks his truck up the hill a bit as there is not enough room for his truck in the lot. Glad it works out this way for my neighbors. 

No comments: