My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Labor Day recap

Today is the day that Linda goes home, actually departing late this afternoon. We are going out for water exercises one more time before she leaves. Marlena is gone on vacation but we ladies can have a fun workout with her gone. Since The Club was open yesterday (normally closed Mondays) for the holiday, they are closed today so we'll have to make do otherwise for lunch. 

Yesterday morning we had a fun adventure. Justin had to work again on the holiday, sad to report, but Linda and I were planning for fun at the pool. While we sat and watched the news, I got a text message from a young friend, Brandon, who moved to OP from south FL a few months ago. He touches base periodically asking for suggestions for school for their son, different contractors for services at their home, and so on. He is a son of First German and my niece, Lisa, used to be his babysitter. 

He wanted to know where on the Island to get breakfast and I answered him either IHOP or Panera Bread. I asked him then if he knew Linda was visiting me and he said he did know, seeing my postings on FB. He said if we'd thought about it, how fun it would have been to get together, especially since his parents were in town for a visit. Wait a minute! Mike and Jody are here??  Brandon asked if we had breakfast, just as Linda was taking a bite from a bagel. I told him we had not eaten and we agreed to meet them all for breakfast at IHOP. Linda and I threw ourselves together, dressing as fast as firemen!, and got there before they did. How fun it was to see our former church friends again, a mini-reunion, and meet Brandon's wife and son. LOVE it!  I had sung an anthem with Mike and Jody for my niece's wedding and had seen them last at the School of Worship in 2011. So good to get together again, and on the spur of the moment. We can do it!

After our wonderful breakfast and time with this FG family, Linda and I headed back home to get ourselves suited up for pool fun. We had reservations for the noon buffet at The Club but I figured we would go eat toward the end of the serving time since we'd just gotten up from the table. We sat with Bill and Nancy and enjoyed time in the water. Bill was hungry and not going to wait for us to be ready so they went up to the building to get their food. Linda and I went a bit later, when the kids' pool games were getting underway. We ate up on the patio instead of carrying our plates back and forth. The buffet offered us burgers, hot dogs, pork, chicken breasts, two types of pasta salad, baked beans, plus other salads and condiments. It was delicious and most enjoyable. Linda had an ice cream Drumstick for dessert but I was too stuffed. 

We walked down to the pool area again and settled in with Bill and Nancy, watching the games. And then?? Giant rain drops started to come down, and away we all went. The rain would last the rest of the afternoon, off and on, but Justin managed to get a good day in. They are playing catch up from the week of rain shortened days. 

On the weekend we had talked about how we had hit all Linda's favorite (and ours!) dining places. We left no stone unturned, or so we thought. In the afternoon, I got a text message from Justin saying, "We haven't been to La Nap!" so that became our plan for dinner. As we drove down Kingsley, he pulled into the turning lane, he asked, "Well, where should be go for dinner?" What? It seems on our American holiday, Labor Day, the Mexican restaurant was closed!!  Since we were right next to it, I suggested Metro Diner, so in we went. Not too long a wait either. The manager stopped by the table and shook my hand, as they are becoming familiar with my face there. I told him my patty melt sandwich was the best one I'd ever had---and I wasn't kidding either. Wow, it was great!  More leftovers to be enjoyed another time. I guess on Linda's next visit we will have to go first to La Napolera and hopefully catch them when open!

No comments: