My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, March 4, 2016

Cool, in more ways than one!

Something cool happened at Cracker Barrel last night. I arrived ahead of my companions and was seated in the dining room. The table to my left had an older couple, lady in wheelchair and man with no teeth. To my right just behind me was a family with 2 active little boys, cute as buttons. I noticed the older couple did not speak, barely looked at each other, really, which made me sad to the bottom of my feet. As the young couple was leaving, the dad stopped at the older couple's table and laid a $10 bill between them, He leaned over and said something, then walked away. I caught the eye of the lady in the wheelchair and she said something to me which I could not hear but understood to be astonishment. The older man was smiling to beat the band, and seemed to smile the rest of his meal. And I think they spoke to each other a couple of times while they were there. I just love it!

Terri, OJ, and I enjoyed our meals, with me taking my 'Mom's Pancakes' to go. The understanding was every order of these pancakes would allow 20% of the sales toward the USO, and we are all about that. Sadly, at check-out, we found out that deal ended at 2:00 pm! I ordered my regular meal of meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans, and corn. I brought more than half home with me, plus a nice biscuit. My 'boyfriend', Seth, took care of us. He brought a big bag for my pancake breakfast which included eggs and bacon and I was able to put my next to go box in that bag. Much easier to carry it this way than juggling!

We couldn't wait to get out of there, though, because it was so cool temperature-wise. My theory on this is the store is kept cold so people go into the gift shop and buy jackets and sweatshirts! 

Justin was home by the time I got back here, but he was so ready for bed after a long day at work. Our original plan was to watch the debate together but he was going to bed instead. He could watch it in his room from the comfort of his bed, which is what I did in my room. I managed to hang in to the very end, but I am guessing he pooped out well before 11:00 pm. 


Thursday morning I was to have a passenger ride with me to Bible study, Deanna. She is a family friend of the pastor and lives on Fleming Island.We were meeting at CVS and she would ride with me to the church. She called though to say she would drive herself instead as she had some place to go afterward. She got a bit lost but called me at church and got straightened out. It was nice to have her in the class. I hope she continues to come.


In the afternoon I had a lengthy visit with Frank, my financial guy. His retired assistant, Debbie, was working and it was fun to see her again. She joined The Club not long ago and I see her every once in a while. She is thinking of buying a place over here and I would enjoy having her for my neighbor. Frank and I did my annual review and he did some car research for me. Gave me lots to think about, he is so encouraging!

No comments: