My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

An afternoon at the movies

Somehow, in my old age and being discombobulated, I accidentally double booked myself for this day. Nancy and I had made plans to go to the movies today, and she would ask Toni to join us. That was all arranged but then some of her neighbors wanted to have lunch first (but not go to the movie). We were all set up to do just that when I got a text at dinner Monday night from my friend, Stephanie, asking if we were still on for lunch Tuesday. Oops!  

I excused myself from the lunch with Stephanie and Jean, planning for the following week instead. Glad she is forgiving and flexible like that. Then, Nancy let me know that now she has a scheduling problem. A classmate of Toni and hers had their spouse die and their presence was requested for a lunch Tuesday. Of course, I excused them. I still planned to see the movie and one of her neighbors, Janelle, was going with me. But then she also decided to get her iPad repaired instead at St. Johns Town Center. So, then I called Judy C. and made plans with her to see the movie. There, that works!

She offered to pick me up since it's on her way to Fleming Island. I had already told her it was my treat because she shortened a pair of pants for me. We saw "Hidden Figures", a truth-based story about the black women who worked as human computers behind the scenes for NASA. The story told what life was like for them in their workplace, segregated and such, and how eventually they were able to climb up in their jobs, gaining the respect of their peers. At the end of the movie snapshots were shown of the actual women portrayed and told about what they all accomplished in their years at NASA, and after. VERY good movie, I highly recommend seeing it. One I will most assuredly purchase when it comes out on DVD. 

The best thing was that it was 'cheap day' at the theater, discounted tickets and refreshments. We had a good number of folks in the theater with us which was great to see. Most people gasped at the same scenes as those around them, shocked to see how people were treated and how they thought back in the early 60's. These ladies and their co-workers were ambitious and wanted to flourish in their careers. That is always encouraging. 

Justin and I just had leftovers from our 'tailgate' party Sunday, reheating brats and beer cheese soup for our dinner. I wanted to eat earlier tonight because I'd had breakfast with Terri this a.m. and left about half of it, and had only a portion of a bag of popcorn this afternoon. I was plenty hungry for our dinner. And now I'm  tired so sleep well, all!  

No comments: