My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, June 6, 2018

My humdrum life

Last night I had the distinct pleasure of sitting through the Town Council meeting, getting to see my newly elected friend, Roland, hard at work.  Unfortunately I was in WI on the night he was sworn in, as I would have loved to be there for that big event. I've been hearing about all his big ideas for our town for months now and am excited with and for him to see things start rolling. However, at the meeting, several topics were brought up about which I had no knowledge or information, and I was quite curious.

Roland had asked me to consider serving on some boards or committees for him and I respectfully declined the opportunity. One reason for my decision is that I have enough stuff to do already between various organizations in which I'm involved. And, due to the Sunshine Law in FL, anytime he and I would be together, our conversation would be limited to food and the weather. That would never suit the two of us and he appreciated my answer. 

So, on a lazy and overcast day like this one we had today, I decided to read the Minutes of the previous meeting to see what the dust up was about that night. Not only could I read the Minutes, I could also listen to the actual proceedings. Cool beans!  I got to hear Roland being sworn in, as Maureen held the family Bible for him. I'd have wept, that's for sure! And then I was able to hear the assignment of various Chairmanships to the Council members as well as the appointment/selection of Mayor and Vice-Mayor.  Okay, that's where things got interesting. The sole female on the dais commented later in the meeting that she felt unduly overlooked for the role of Vice-Mayor due to her gender. Wow! How can you prove or deny such a charge? This vote sort of caught our newly elected official off guard, being the new guy, and he voted with the majority. He had no axe to grind with any of them and walked into a hornet's nest.

During the time when the public can address the Council, several spoke regarding this charge, some insisting offenders step down from their role, and so on. That was a bit over the top and made for much drama in the meeting. This was too bad since the new guy was all prepared to pursue his goals, etc. At least he was able to present all that at last night's meeting, and was teased for violating their anti-filibuster rules! That guy can talk! 

I did have to chuckle at myself for sitting for hours at my desk and listening to such proceedings, just to get myself up to speed. Talk about a humdrum life! 

No comments: