My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Saturday, July 28, 2018

Can't versus won't

A few days ago I was thinking of something my friend, Kathy, told me about visiting old folks' homes. She said she could not go along Christmas caroling because she "can't go to nursing homes". Her mother-in-law actually lived in such a place and apparently Kathy never went to see her. Perhaps her husband brought his mom to their house for visits since she was quite able-bodied in those days. Anyway, somehow Kathy would spend time with her mother-in-law but not in the home. In all honesty, it wasn't that Kathy could not go into the home to visit her, she wouldn't do it. As you know, there really is no reason to think you cannot go into an old folks' home, you simply don't want to!

How much in our lives do we claim we cannot do when what we really mean is that we don't want to do it? I think of myself with certain foods which I claim I do not like but have never tried. What is up with that? Justin recently coaxed me into trying a cheesy seafood dip one night at dinner, thinking I would like it. Out of character, I did give it a taste and wow!, I loved it. Now I get some every time I am at Publix (has to be Publix brand) and enjoy it on a cracker or five as my afternoon snack. How long have I gone without this delight in my life, simply because I don't like fish???  The seafood in the dip is actually the 'fake' crab meat which is tolerable, not fishy at all. I really needed one more food in my life, right?

No comments: