My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Jerusalem, the Golden

Last night was Lenten worship followed by choir rehearsal. Our director was absent but Robbie was able to lead us, not a small task for such an unruly group as the church choir!
*
We got through several of our anthems with a bit of work and then it was time to pick up the Easter song. Okay, Kim, here it comes, buck up, you can do it.........
*
We are singing "Jerusalem, the Golden", using a symphonic melody and accompanied by Suzanne on the viola. Robbie plays the organ as majestically as it can, and we sing the melody line. The tune is lilting and did I say "majestic"?
*
I was so proud of myself--Suzanne played her intro and then we launched into the hymn itself. We were on the second page of the music before the tears started to flow---oh, that vision of heaven and what awaits us there is simply too much. No matter how often I listen on Pete's website or practice with the choir, the emotion flows. Here are some of the words which trip me up:
*
.....I know not, O I know not, what joys await us there,
What radiancy of glory, what bliss beyond compare.
*
They stand, those halls of Zion, all jubilant with song,
And bright with many an angel, and all the martyr throng;
The Prince is ever in them, the daylight is serene.
The pastures of the blessèd are decked in glorious sheen.
*
It's like I told Emily, any hymn now that is listed in the "End Times" section will get me, as I long to see heaven and join the throng. Besides being face to face with my Savior, I'll (we'll) get to see our loved ones who have been experiencing that "bliss beyond compare". Tarren told me that whenever she sings the part about the pastures, she thinks about Timmy. See, it's not only me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good morning,

I just read your blog. Your mom stopped in to pick up an earring and gloves she left behind. She asked if I read your blog, so of course I had to check it out. I had to grab a tissue and wipe my eyes so I could finish reading it. The words to the hymn are so beautiful!!

Love and hugs

Linda