My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Do I hear "three"?

When Justin was a little boy, oh, about 4 or so, he was tucked in for the night........but his conversation continued long after we'd left the room. At one point I went back in to tell him to quit talking and go to sleep, he replied, "But, Mama, I have words left over!" Can't fault a guy for something he came by naturally, right?
*
Well, today I'm the one with words leftover! For the 3rd and probably last time today, I am posting.
Martie and I just finished our lovely dinner at the Blu Grotto, the very same place where I had lunch with Justin today! At the beach last week I told her we needed to go there, so when she suggested dinner tonight, oh, yeah, let's go! I saw a mess of people I knew there, and saw some folks at noon, too. Great fun!
*
But, here's the thing: I saw Carol, a Realtor at E. H. whom I've known for many, many years, and her hubby, whom I see often at Longhorn. She was happy to see me and gave big hugs, etc. And then she reported that someone said they'd seen me out with a guy........what? I blew it off, saying it was probably Justin, and she said no, it wasn't. Hmmm....people are talking about seeing me out with a guy????? That is nuts on so many levels! I said, "Well, if they did see me out, it was probably Rick, who drew your house plans." Carol said, "No, it was an older guy." I told Carol in no uncertain terms that I was absolutely NOT dating anyone ever, that it must have been a mistaken identity (oh, yes, soooooo many people look just like me)...
*
This gave Martie and me something fun to discuss over our dinners. We thought and thought over who it could have been....Paul! Joan's husband, Paul, it has to be! (Justin and I celebrated Christmas at their house, I posted a photo of us all together.) He is the only older man I've had dinner with but certainly not alone, always with our group. Isn't it funny how stories get started? Hopefully I sufficiently defended my honor with Carol, and she'll "share" that information with her cohorts. We just shook our heads over this, just imagine someone wanting to go on a date with me!?!? Puh-lease! The only other option would be when our Bible study group goes for lunch but still, that's not on the Island and is always more girls than boys....
*
After Martie left, I headed for the elevators where I met Ellen, my upstairs neighbor, who was coming home after being at the hospital. Her hubby, who is somewhat well-known, had his hip replaced, again, yesterday. If all goes well, he'll be released on Saturday to come home. She said she'll be playing nurse to him, but once he's not as dependent on Ellen, she and I are going to go have dinner at Blu Grotto. I really love it there: the rich blues, the Italian theme, the music....
*
While eating lunch, I told Justin the music alone made me want to just pack my bags and go over!!! He said to go for it, just sell all I own and find an apartment near the Ponte Vecchio. He's such a romantic, or a Florentine, as the case might be. When I said I'd miss him, he said, "You could send for me". He's got it all worked out.....the only thing about his plan? No church for me there! Small detail.............

2 comments:

Peter Prange said...

This one made Pete and I laugh out loud several times =) We could really picture you telling this story in person!

Anonymous said...

Must I once chastise you for being hard on yourself. You would be a wonderful person to date. Like you have time to date. It is funny how people can look at any given situation.