My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Here's something for you, then, Cindy!

The other night after Justin and I had cleared the personal items away from the gravesite, Cindy called to offer her comfort and let me know she'd been thinking about me that day. This is her strongest trait, offering support, sometimes when it's not even expected. One thing she did tell me, though, is that she is my most faithful reader and objects to the days I post photos only, because "I want to read!!!" That's why the title on the previous blog posting....
*
When I think of Cindy, I can't help but remember the phone call she made just before CHRISTmas in 2000 to let me know how impressed she was with Timmy's growing maturity. She was his teacher in Precious Lambs and spent much time with her arms and legs wrapped around my little frog-boy, trying to keep him reigned in to listen in class.
*
Once he started pre-k at St. Johns, he began to settle down, to listen and do what he was told to do. Hmmm, how'd they do that? Ms. Booth had dots on the floor where the children sat when they arrived in the morning, it was "expected" that they sit there. And they did!!!! I just saw his teacher, Robin Booth, last weekend at "Aeriel's".
*
So, anyway, Cindy called that December night and just gushed, (sorry 'bout that, Cindy!), about how she can't get over the way he's growing up and paying attention in Sunday school and learning his parts for the Christmas program, etc. Does anyone know how valuable that phone call was, and is, to me???? To any parent? I hope all parents and teachers keep this in mind, to not only let people know when their kids are messing up, to also mention the wonderful observations to the parents.
*
The week prior to his practicing with the kids in Sunday school, only his brother had to be at church to rehearse, so Timmy and I were heading to the Mall to shop a bit. While I was talking to Mom on the phone, we drove 'round and 'round the parking lot, looking for a spot to pull into. Anyone who's been here at Christmas knows how impossible a task it is to find a parking place at the Mall. Up and down, up and down, yak, yak, yak. Finally, from the backseat, an impatient Timmy said, "I got it! How 'bout you drop me down at Books a Meelyon (his pronunciation) and you can park the car? How's that sound?" I laughed and told Mom what he suggested. She could just hear him saying that, too. Can you imagine, me letting him out to go running in the store while I continued to circle the lot? He was just too anxious to get inside that store to play with the "Thomas the Tank Engine" stuff in BAM.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I always like to hear about the good things that my boys do also. With all the things Dan didn't do right it was always good to hear many people say what good manners he has or how helpful he was. Of course the helpful part confused me because i don't see that as often as I would like. Mr. Menk was great on emphasing the good parts of Dan's school week. What great teachers God has blessed us with. Not only at FG but also MLHS. I just wanted to tell you that I really do enjoy your blogs.

Anonymous said...

Oh poo, calling you about Timmy. He did so well that Christmas program. We were practicing and he was doing the pee dance, so I took him out and told him to go potty. The boy peed forever! When he was done, he washed his hands and was right back into the program practice. And he stood up in front of the church and shared God's Word with a smile. I was so proud of him!

I was also proud of Justin the day he walked into my Sunday school class. I asked him how his week was, because I could tell he was not happy. He told me Roger had left and he thought it was because of him. As I was writing on the board for my Sunday School class I started praying and asking God...please give me the words to comfort him. So I told Justin my parents were divorced when I was young. Then I said "do I look like a child from a divorced family? Do I have three heads?" And he said "no" to each question. Then I asked him if he was scared and sad and he said yes. And I hugged him. And he was trying hard not to cry but he hugged back.

The funny part was I'd go to teach my class and then Robbie would come in to teach music; he'd come early so we chat.

For two years I'd go to my car to smoke and there was MJ, Mark, Robbie and Justin hanging out around the van. They waited for me!

The best part of all of this is I can still teach God's Word, and the positive fed back is worth it.
I love my job and have the best 'Boss' in the world!

Cindy

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill!

Thanks for being an excellent reader and commenter! You are absolutely correct about the wonderful teachers. Did you read where I met up with Marcy Rauch a couple weeks ago? That sure was nice, and I credit her father with instilling writing and composition skills in us wwaayy back then.....

Have a great day scooping ice cream! Lisa told me about the terrible storms yesterday, they were without power at 9:00 pm yet last night!

Hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if they were without power. My hanging planters are pretty much history. I took them down so the wind wouldn't blow them off but the wind got them anyway. More storms the next few days i guess.