My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Okay, here's the thing..........

This rant is the equivalent to cleaning off my desk.............
*
I am getting really really tired to watching the previews for upcoming episodes of "Saving Grace" or "Burn Notice" or "In Plain Sight" or or or or.......Nearly all those programs have vile language and conduct, substituting titillation for quality script writing. Even yesterday, as I watched some of my favorite shows, reruns of "Frasier" and "Seinfeld", I was sickened by some of the content of the episodes. Is that a bit of hypocrisy? How come I can "overlook" indiscretion on the one hand and dismiss it totally out of hand on the other????????
*
Why am I watching so much TV these days anyway? Well, in the process of easing the eye fluttering which is often the result of too long in the front of the computer and/or bright lights, I'm taking time away from this screen and "resting" my eyes by watching television. Reading would not be the suitable rest and of course, napping would be ideal but totally non-productive. Not like I am accomplishing much sitting in front of the "box" but its a wonderful substitution for typing or reading on-line.
*
Travis brought the last of the bag stuffing items this a.m. so I guess I could do that instead of watching "What Not to Wear". A couple of the church ladies offered to come and help me out with this project, not because I asked them to, either. They'll do anything to spend some time with this view! Seagulls are swooping about madly today, perhaps in answer to my call for birds to eat the bees. One of the neighbors also noticed the bees on the palm branches and remarked that there's supposedly a "bee shortage", so was happy to see the activity outside the window. Perhaps I spoke too soon about them!
*
The headline on the homepage of the radio station I am listening to states that the city is "outraged" at rate hikes for water and electric costs. Excuse me, but when I heard the report yesterday when it first took place, the reporter commented that "only a dozen" folks spoke against the proposed hike. Of course, this doesn't mean that more people weren't there at the meeting, only this many actually took the mike to voice their opposition. Between the news about the rate hikes (the second in recent months) and the drop in the Dow these days, I hate to even listen to the news! Some people won't listen because of the murders and other tragedies, but I get upset hearing about the economy and the political races. I won't stick my head in the sand, but I do get frustrated and not a little bit frightened about the economic forecasts. The whole world revolves around the construction and real estate markets, and I think people are really coming to realize that. Well, almost the whole world................."everything is economics"---can't remember who said it first, but, man, that's so true!!!
*
Neal, on the radio now, is discussing something which a group of us talked about at a church meeting last week, how men are made out to be simpletons on TV shows and in advertising. Also, how bratty kids are allowed to make both parents look small and use abrasive language when addressing them. Recently I saw a clip from a so-called "reality" show about a couple with eight children, where the TV cameras record their every activity and verbal exchange as though it's entertainment. Again, "The Truman Show", only from 2007-08. The clip shows the husband snapping at his wife: "and what's your problem?" "What's my problem? You are!!" Oh, great, and they've got 8 kids to deal with.....I see an entirely different problem. What pleasure can one garner from watching/listening to real life squabbling between parents?
*
Why do I get my grundies in such a bundle about the reality shows? What do I care? Julia's hubby told me once that they love to watch them---the dancing or performing shows, cooking shows, fashion designers, cake decorators, and all that stuff, in order to switch the focus from their own problems to someone elses. Huh? Because this particular design team, who have cursed and used foul language 'til their heads fall off the entire program, are quite dramatically drummed off the show, I should feel better about my failed cherry pie?? Its not possible to put together an entire sentence on these shows, even on the Preview Channel!!!!, without listening to the constant bleep, bleep, bleeping. My guess is that participants are encouraged to use filthy language in order to "add interest" to a program which would otherwise not have any....
*
I'm out of steam now, I hope you're happy! Time to go have some lunch and rest my eyes. "I'm losing it, Jerry, losin' it!!!!"
*
Just as I am about to send this off, reports are in that the price of oil has dropped due to unexpected supply being discovered. What great news! A lady at the pool and I were discussing life situations recently. We agreed that it is vitally important to remember from whence cometh our help...............

No comments: