My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Let the games begin!!

How fabulous were those opening ceremonies last night?? Wow!!!!
*
A small group of us watched on an antennae-less TV at church last night as we scrapbooked. Having a clearer picture would have made the fireworks and light shows that much more spectacular but we got the basic idea of the grandeur of this amazing spectacle. Of course, my favorite part was the song sung by Sarah Brightman and a partner. Several people called me during the song to make sure I was watching the program and not missing her performance. That was quite touching, to have so many people "in the know" and care whether I missed seeing my favorite singer!!!!
*
Twila ran out of pictures to mount so we decided to pack it in somewhat earlier than usual and headed home to watch the introduction of the nations. One of our croppers was a "virgin", with last night being her very first venture into the world of scrapbooking!!!! It was exciting for the rest of us to see her take the first steps into the "web" of this most excellent pasttime! Sheila came part way by bus, stopping first at Michael's to buy adhesive for her photos, and then proceeded to walk from that plaza all the way to church, getting caught in the rain in the process. I wish she'd have called me, I'd have been glad to swing down there and collect her. All in the name of our craft! I took her home by car afterwards.
*
Mom was lamenting there not being any news to sink her teeth into these days, having grown weary hearing about the Brett Favre debacle. Since she cares not about football, Brett, and all the ramifications this mess brings to the Packers and their history, she wants some solid news. Well, beside the Olympic stories, bombing is taking place in Russia/Georgia (my poor novice cropper thought it was the USA's Georgia!), John Edwards' extra-martial affair being exposed, and the missing child from Orlando should provide something to distract from Brett Favre for awhile.
*
On Fox and Friends, one the "teasers" for an upcoming story is "what does John Edwards' wife think about his affair?" What an incredible question to ask!!! She's already had to bury one of her children, is raising some little ones yet, all the while bolstering her husband's political ambition and, oh yes, battling cancer------hhhmmmm, I wonder what she thinks......I LOVED his remarks about being caught up in the power of the moment and behaving quite narcissistic during the campaign for president. Ya think???? Getting stroked by the public, told over and over how great you are, being married to a less-than svelte, albeit faithful, woman...yeah, something's gotta give!!!! John Edwards as a victim......go figure!
*
I've had some rather uplifting moments in recent days, aiding in raising my sagging spirit. One day I opened a thank-you card from a lady at church which went on for two sides of the note, giving me almost embarrassing compliments and thanks for the things I do at church, etc. Holy cow! If it's going to be like this, I'll bring pizza to church more often! Seriously, though, this lady is a dear and I'm truly flattered by her appreciation and thanks.
*
My friend, Brenda W., told me on Tuesday that she never did anything or went anywhere until I came into her life, later adjusting this to include my former business, opening doors for her. She'd never flown before she met us, she never went on a cruise before, and once, when she was having a bad day at work, I coerced her into taking a day off so we could go to St. Augustine for a day on the "Parrot Head" with the other Brenda and her friend, Carey. This was the first time Brenda W. was ever a tourist in St. Augustine, being born and raised in the Jacksonville/Clay County area!!!
*
Two different people contacted me via e-mail asking for my counsel on something, one about a Bible reference and another about dealing with her babysitter arrangements. I couldn't help Lisa with her question because instead of sitting at my desk to help her, I found myself at the pool chatting it up with some other guests. She called later to say she'd made her own decision and it went well. Good! But I am flattered she thought enough of my advice to ask first!
*
Having the prospect of the family coming also makes my heart sing, only a week now before they arrive. I am trying to plan a Ladies' Group breakfast outing but the restaurant we chose cannot accommodate us. The social would be the morning my family gets here so there's time between events, no worries as far as this goes. I might call Holiday Inn to see if they have a buffet breakfast we can take advantage of instead of Grumpy's. Nuts! Lisa was telling me that the boys keep talking about "Kim, Kim in Floooreeeda" so I have to try my best not to disappoint them! Even though they have a car reserved, I am thinking I might go out to help haul peoples or luggage since traveling by car vs. mini-van is a big difference room-wise. They go to Milwaukee by van and leave JAX in a regular car, 5 people plus luggage. I just want to see them first, that's all! I don't know if Justin is coming that day or not, but if he is, perhaps he'd swing by the airport and bring his auntie Lynn and some "bags" here with him......
*
Justin and I are spending the day together again, this time starting with a movie "Traveling Pants 2", which is filmed in Santorini. I may have mentioned this before.........He wants to see it badly but can't ask his buddies to go see it, not cool, you know? After the movie he thinks we'll have time for a nibble at Steak 'n Shake before heading over to church at Victory. Following worship I'll go home to watch the preseason football game in the comfort of my family room. No sports bar for me, not for pres-season anyway. By the way, Lynn wants me to get some tickets for the December 14th game, Jags vs. Packers, and she'll come down again to attend the game!!! Help me get tickets everybody, please???
*
Justin and I met at the bank yesterday to open a checking account and get a credit card for his use. Justin has no credit history so we must get some established so I won't have to co-sign the lease again for their condo. I hate being the only grown-up on the lease, with the possibility of me getting "stuck" with it if the other guys wouldn't pay their share. I'd rather it be Justin's battle than mine, isn't that thoughtful of me? Just another service I offer, accountability! The little bank man helping us offered a way for me to access his accounts to add money or simply monitor transactions, which at first was a good idea. Justin said, "Oh, she'd love that" at the same time I was saying, "No, I don't think so." GULP!!!! This is huge for me, HUGE!!!! Justin was as blown away as I was, but I was the only one tearing up....of course.
*
He thanked me for helping get his account set up and putting in the seed money, so he took me to lunch. We were going to lunch anyway but it sounded good at the time. He had a gift card to use at Chili's so I had my chix fingers and he this enormous southwestern salad. Yummy!
*
I hit my Publish button by mistake so forgive me for that.....I had one more thing to mention about the Olympics production last night. I was moved to tears by the sight of the little boy walking alongside the very tall basket player (I know I should be familiar with him!). The little fella had been buried in the rubble of the recent earthquake and was able to be rescued. And, once rescued, he went back to help dig for his classmates because "he was a classroom leader and had to help them". 20 of his thirty classmates perished in the quake. If he needs someone to adopt him, I am throwing my name into the hat for him!
*
I am sad about one of my favorite actors, Morgan Freeman, from The Bucket List. First he was in a serious car accident, badly injured, and now he's getting a divorce from his wife of 24 years. I reallllllllllyyyyy have a problem with that! And now Bernie Mac died, being publicized only minutes ago. He had made some bad jokes at an Obama rally not long ago and took some heat for it, and now is dead, from pneumonia. It is so fleeting sometimes, fleeting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I almost called you about Sara. I don't know if I have ever heard her sing before but she has the most amazing voice. It wa a truly wonderful opening ceremony. To get all those people coordinated like that. I wish I could have seen the little boy walking with the tall man. I am off to work to open and thend home to prepare for a family cook out. I want to see the boys before they are off on their vacation.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill!

You had to tell me about your family cook out! Now I'll be so jealous of you guys....oh, I know, I get them for a week here, I should shut up about a nicnic!

I didn't know you never heard Sarah sing before. Didn't you ever wonder why I go on and on about her? Listen on the Internet some time at a sampling of her work, I think you'll love it. Particularly beautiful are the offerings in Italian!

Have an awesome day!

Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim- Well we got to see the boys but for only a short time. Lisa had a migraine so left early. Gabe didn't want to leave though. Other than that we had more than enought to eat. Kerry did the honors of cooking and did a superb job. It was just good to sit and relax for a few hours.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill,

Sorry to hear she had another migraine. I heard she had one the day she fell on the steps, too. I am glad you got to sit back and enjoy yourself a bit yesterday. I am counting the moments until they get here!!!

Love,

Kim