My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Monday, September 1, 2008

Happy Labor Day

Before I head down to the pool, I'll jot a few lines about my Sunday. After church, I came back home and got changed into my trunks. For those who are squeamish, I do wear the entire swimsuit, I usually say trunks just for amusement purposes. Immediately I ordered my hot dog before the skies changed to rain, as often happens upon my ordering lunch! Chris, the cabana boy, was out of chips "for the year". Who gets only a year's worth of chips, I ask? He offered the pasta salad instead and although I'd never tried it, agreed to the substitution. Mmm, it was fabulous! What have I been missing?

I went to the table in the shade again, because it was far too windy to have the umbrellas out, and began reading and eating. As I finished the hot dog and had some pasta salad waiting for me, the wind tossed my plate to the other side of the pool area, depositing the salad onto my catalog!!! Manners forbade me from eating it off the table and catalog so I scraped it all onto the catalog just as Cheryl (from Friday) showed up. Her son took it to the trash for me, the gent that he was.

Cheryl and her 14 year old son sat with me and gabbed, although I nearly let the "beans out of the bag" talking about the Gate House. Evidently she can't tell him things too far ahead of time because he expects it to happen right now instead of sometime in the future. Okay, I'll keep my yap shut about it until she gives me the all-clear signal.

Before long the O'Connells and their visiting children joined us poolside and I got to meet and chat with them, as well. Denny, their son who is my age, had emergency kidney surgery while I was in WI, so the O'Connells had been in Chicago when I was up north. When introduced to Denny, I said, "Oh, nice to meet you! I prayed for you!!" and he thanked me. They are all devout Roman Catholics in this family so I knew the prayers meant something to him.

All the kids were in town to "surprise" their dad for his 70th birthday, only the adult kids, no grands along. They had originally planned to come the weekend before but Maureen convinced them to come this weekend instead due to the storm, Fay, being here, too. Then the surprise was ruined, because she had to tell Hugh what the plan was, and why no one had called him to wish happy birthday!!!! That's mighty suspicious behavior, when no one calls even though they like him!

I came upstairs to get my dinner ready for the Lawcock's, whom I'd invited over to beat me at Scrabble. I am nothing if not a wonderful hostess! I made sloppy joes and had chips with dip for our supper. Paul had called to report they would be a little late and of course, that's fine. After about 15 minutes passed, I heard the door open and a man's voice say, "It's me!". I came out, saying, "I didn't expect you until 5:30....." and here it was Justin!!!!! He so surprised me that I began to weep (really???). He'd had 'plans' to do something with his friends so I wasn't expecting him, so the surprise was genuine! He figured out a way for me to lock and unlock my front door since my kitchen lock is on the fritz. I need a locksmith! Anyway, he's got it fixed now so I can lock up when going away.

He had dinner with us and played a bit with his goddaughter, Sarah, before having to go meet his friends. The young man around whom their so-called plans were made was having dinner with his family (oh, really??) and Justin had to collect his father from the airport and take him home, which put Justin in proximity to me! It all works out.....and he did go to church on Saturday night, even leaving his wallet behind by mistake. Pastor H. called me to reach Justin about his wallet. All the numbers he had were mine and not Justin's! Justin managed to get his wallet back and go to the concert Saturday night after all. All that vitriol about not being able to go was wasted!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kim!

The way you describe your life and living arrangements reminds me of someone being on a perpetual vacation. I think it's so cool how it's "to the pool" every day, where you socialize with people all around you.

I know how I'd like to retire someday, that's for sure!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jami!

Yes, it's a marvelous existence here and I do love the liberty of sitting poolside when I can. Otherswise sitting in my window is also quite enjoyable but less social. The fellow who is marrying my neighbor, both of them in their 60's, compares living here to being on a cruise, the main difference is we have to clean our own rooms!!!

I am so looking forward to my friend, Judy R.,coming for a visit in November! She's made her flight arrangements so we are good to go! She lives in MN and her hubby is going trapping so it will be a perfect girls' get away for her. At least I hope it's perfect!

The door is open for when you wish to come over!

Hugs,

Kim