My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

After choir rehearsal....

....I came home to write! "The Maestro", the name I have chosen when referring to Robbie, our young director/accompanist, was full of high praise for our little choir tonight. We are rehearsing "In Christ Alone" which is the same anthem the First German choir is doing. Since they have choir practice on the same night, I like to imagine we are singing this hymn together, but 1200 miles separated. The Maestro puts us through vocal exercises each week, trying to get us to breathe better and have proper tone in our notes. In my case, it's a "silk purse from sow's ear" situation, but I try not to dig in my heels about it. In fact, he was attempting to get us to sing more from our diaphragms than our throats or noses, and when frustrated, I pouted, "I sing (play) it the way I want it!" These were Timmy's words to his piano teacher when she'd try to get him to do something. And now, his mom is pulling it!!
*
I am so terribly proud of Robbie and what he's accomplished so far in his life. After all, he's "only" 21 and already he's conducting the finest choir we have at Good Shepherd this year! We have one soprano, one 2nd soprano, a handful of altos, and a tenor/bass. Once Emily comes back, she'll help with the soprano voice, but right now, it's only me! I love it that The Maestro will call me before setting the schedule to make sure I'll be in town. His mom, Carol, wasn't at choir tonight because her daddy had a bit of out-patient surgery so she was staying with him as he recovers.
*
The Maestro (for those who don't know, this name is a "Seinfeld" reference again, a guy who's real name is Bob!) was helping us to enunciate our words, concentrate on what we are saying in the anthem, adding meaning to our message. Prior to choir beginning, I sat and read through our new Supplement, finding "Jerusalem, the Golden" with the new tune. I don't know why I do it to myself but read through the stanzas, hanging on every phrase, quietly mopping away the tears which fall without urging. So, when choir began and he asks us to do the same thing with "In Christ Alone", telling how he got goosebumps when he heard it performed in a church where the choir stood in front of stained glass, well, he got me again!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Kim,
I was imagining us singing together last night too! you're right about the words, I get water eyes every time we sing "In Christ Alone". It is so powerful, imagine Kari Hahm and Betty Schwede hitting those high notes!! As Pastor Wolfgramm used to say, "they sing just like angels".
Alayna and I are going cropping tomorrow. Lynn can't go, she has to put her house back together after plumber work.
Have a blessed day!
Linda

Tarren Prange said...

Our choir is singing this anthem also. Gotta love the super high "A" close to the end. Beautiful!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda!

It is so cool that you were thinking about us singing down here in Florida. First, on Sunday, you recognized my funeral chapter and then thinking about me last night at choir.....love it!

Do the 2 ladies go to for the high notes which are nearly off the page? They must be breathing properly! I am so glad that you are cropping tomorrow night. Today is Alayna's birthday, 17 years old! Sorry to hear Lynn is having troubles with her plumbing!!!!

Love and hugs,

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Tarren!

I am so excited to hear from you! I started a letter to you guys but it's on the other computer where I have no Internet.....it will be old news, I'm afraid.

It is so cool that you guys are singing the same anthem as FG and GS. How did this happen, I wonder? Maybe it's because In Christ Alone is in the Supplement?
For any reason, I just love it, and know it won't trip me up the way "Jerusalem..." does. The Maestro has deleted those really high notes so 2nd soprano and I will use the same note. Bonnie, the sec'y. at Victory, told me today that she's leaving that note for me (joint choir) but told her we aren't using that high A. G is high enough, if you ask me, and as I told Robbie last night, I only have so many of those in me, so let's not waste them in rehearsal!!

How is school going? I am anxious to hear!

Hugs,

Kim

Tarren Prange said...

School is going great! I actually blogged about it, at your request, so you can read more there. Sorry we don't keep up with the blogging very well...you know how it goes.