My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, November 28, 2008

ThanksLiving Day con't.

All the meal prep was completed, except for microwaving the veggies, which is what I was doing when Pastor Kuske arrived. He brought with him a gift that he'd received that day, and I asked him, jokingly, if he was a "re-gifter". He laughed and said he brought it along for me to see, because he knew I'd like it. Jayne and Brett had given him a plaque made by someone near Frankenmuth, MI, using clay "forms" afixed to a horizontal board. He asked if I could tell what it was and in a second I could see it was the Lord's Prayer, expressed in symbols vs. words. It was amazing, I'd love to have such a thing! I'm going to ask Jayne how to get one because it is important for me. Lovely! He said it would be a valuable tool to use in confirmation class, to help kids get the visual from the Petitions of the Lord's Prayer. What a great gift!
*
Justin and Pastor chatted in the family room as we waited for our friends to arrive. Previously I'd removed the turkey from its baking bag and cut it up, placing it on the pre-heated steel tray to keep it warm. Just before serving I poured a bit of chicken broth over the top of it which sizzled like on a fajita pan. Yummy! My baked mashed potatoes and the stuffing were ready to go to the table as soon as the elevator dinged. Here come my friends, Owen and Olivia!!! I had the hot food on the table since Sandy called from the corner to tell us she was nearly there. All we needed then was Sandy who was parking the car, something Owen was not allowed to do evidently. He said he wanted to do it but was sent upstairs instead. Oh, it was wonderful to see them again!
*
I'd poured the real wine and fake wine, telling folks they could mix and match the glasses accordingly, rather than leave the wine pouring until all were seated. Most took the fake wine but a few liked the fake stuff better. As do I! Justin was concerned that the turkey breast I baked wouldn't be enough for us, but we even ended up with leftovers, just like the feeding of the 5000! My mashed potatoes, which were runny but good, and the stuffing, which was made with chopped celery and slivered almonds added, received rave reviews. I love nothing better than having people at my table and not gagging!!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Late Thanksgiving, Kim!

I'm glad you had a great and successful day. I did, too, but today is rest day!

Talk to you later!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi, my faithful reader!

Glad you are enjoying some down time, which probably means you don't have to go to work today! My plans for tonight just got changed a few minutes ago and am not sure if I'll fill the spot or not. YOU will be the first to know if I do!

ThanksLiving blessings,

Kim

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksliving late too! I meant to respong yesterday but just didn't get around to it. I had a house full of people almost all day. Then after they left Dan and I went over by Jamie to swim for a bit. So it was a long but good day. Mr. Bryson is jsut liek his daddy when it comes to climbing in the refrigerator. I will have to send you that picture. Both boys have colds with Hunter having it the worse. Feel for those little guys but it didn't stop them from being boys. Jamie and Hannah have their hands full that is for sure. Time to sit back now and relax. everyone else went shopping but they went to Sheybogan. Since I still had to get the parlor openend I could not go. I will save sosme money this way. Have a good day and talk to you soon. Love Jill

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Schmill!

Sorry you couldn't go along to Sheboygan, I know you'd like to have gone but yes, you'll save money this way. Are you going down to celebrate Dusty's birthday? I hope you get to do that much at least with the family today!

Glad you got to spend time with your grands and the rest of the gang!

Hugs,

Kimpsh

Anonymous said...

They had the party here so I did go. We had pizza and cake. This is my last weekend to go to work till next April. Now I can go for coffee with mom and Lynn except for next Saturday. I promised Dan I would spend the day with him and it will feel good not to have to get up and go somewhere unless I want to.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill!

It's wonderful that you were all able to be together and celebrate Dusty's birthday. Especially since the little boys were there, being bought off with money, just like we used to do for Lisa!
Good for you being able to go out for coffee and such now. Don't pass up an opportunity to socialize!!!!!!!

Love and hugs,

Kim