My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Does anyone see the resemblence in Blogo??

Again the morning the news showed stories about the governor of Illinois, affectionately known as, or not so much, 'Blogo'. I simply cannot get over how much he looks like a former friend of ours in Manitowoc, a real estate developer who used to live in our neighborhood, Indian Bluffs. Every time I see the photos of Blogo, I see our friend, only mucho younger, of course. He, too, had a few rough edges but I don't think he used filthy language like the governor does! We'd built a number of houses in partnership with this fellow and did numerous other type of transactions. I've mentioned him in other postings a while back, I think when talking about how hard it is to get to know some people, but once you do, your life is better because you tried. I wonder if I was as profound when I wrote about it the first time!
*
Through the networking tool, facebook.com, I've become re-connected with several of my former classmates from grade and high school, much to my delight. The other day I was contacted by a friend from grade thru high school whom I'd not heard from in many many years. She lives in IL but her dad attends church at First German, my home congregation. I think it would be awesome to catch up with each other when I am up there later this week. Another e-mail friend with whom I attended grade and high school might be able to connect with Dolly and me over the holiday season. Great! Maybe I should have gotten a haircut yesterday after all!
*
In reading something the other day, I saw an article talking about taking care of our teeth. Being a big fan of teeth, it was interesting to see what this article had to say. The item I came away with was the recommendation to use only a pea-sized dab of toothpaste vs. the "caterpillar-sized" amount shown in the commercials selling the product. This brought to mind a TV show I saw when still living at home, an expose on advertising, with the story that stuck being the one about shampoos. Since both my mom and I worked in the shampoo and body care manufacturing/bottling business, it struck a cord with us. The news report told about how Japan advertisers had multiplied its sales in shampoos by adding one word to the "Use" portion on their bottles---Repeat. That simple word, this statement, influenced people to use double the shampoo, supposedly, as they normally would have if not prompted by this direction on the bottle! Many many years later my now former spouse would bring it up, "your family" (what? my family???, as though we had this written over our doorposts) always scoffed at 'Repeat'! Funny how things come back to us after all these years, a simple TV program a hundred years ago!

No comments: