My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Monday, December 29, 2008

Gathering thoughts and packing up

As we search the corners of the room we shared, Justin and I are getting things together to begin the tedious yet necessary packing process. Well, at least one of us is! The room isn’t really quite large enough for us both to be working at the same time so, in order to be gracious, I’m letting him go first. He got a bunch of presents and isn’t sure he’ll have room for all of them in his luggage, perhaps overflowing into my pieces. Not that I didn’t get a bunch, too, but mine seem to be more “compactable” than are his. At first he’d toyed with bringing only a carry-on bag for this visit in order to avoid checking luggage but he did change his mind about that once he began getting things together for this trip. It’s not a good idea to go minimal luggage for that reason, avoiding baggage checking, because inevitably one returns with more than they came with anyway.

Instead of going to visit Auntie this a.m., Justin stayed here to take care of the laundry so he doesn’t have to take dirty---and smelly---clothes home with him. We both smelled heavily of smoke after dining at the Green Street Tavern again on Sunday night. After we got home last night, I took a shower to help get the smell out of my hair. Phew! Although I hate having government intervention in such a matter as smoking, it sure is refreshing to not having smoking allowed in our area restaurants in OP. I don’t remember if it’s statewide or not, but I like it for the places at which I dine.

My sister-in-law, Mona, picked up Justin and me for lunch today which we did enjoy at Perkins. Justin hadn’t been there yet this visit and Mona liked it too, so off we went. Sure enough, when we pulled into the parking lot, there was Lynn’s car sitting! She had the two older ladies in tow, although they were nearly finished eating by the time we got there. Justin got to “hug on” Auntie after all so it worked out great. We had a nice meal, Mona treating us both for my birthday, which is tomorrow. Allie was at basketball practice and I think JR was with John checking out nursing homes from my father-in-law.

When we got back to Mom’s, we were greeted by Linda’s twin granddaughters. Alayna had to leave again to go back home to get something she’d forgotten so we watched the girls. After attempting to amuse them, I asked if they liked to watch the Disney channel and they said they did. Justin searched the directory to find a station suitable and came up with the Cartoon Network. The girls were enthralled with a show called “Chowder” which Justin found offensive because the characters did a lot of pharting and belching. We just couldn’t believe it!! Lisa doesn’t like her boys to watch it either but the girls kept shushing us so they didn’t miss a sound, or a word!

After Linda came for them, we followed her home and had a nice visit with them at her new house. She conducted the 50 cent tour for Mom and Justin and then put out wonderful CHRISTmas treats for us to savor. Lynn brought along a plate of cookies too and Linda put those out for us as well. The four of them were going to Green Bay for supper and the girls were excited about this outing with Nina and Gumpa. I believe tomorrow they’ll be reunited with their parents and life will return to normal for them all.

In packing my luggage tonight, I realized I’d not mentioned much about my presents! Justin gave me the travel game of Apples to Apples plus the DVD “Mamma Mia!”. He already told me he’s getting me a wireless router for the laptop computer so I have dependable service in the family room. I spend a bit more time in there now that Joanne lives with me so it helps to have trustworthy connections. My sister, Jill, gave me a lovely red/black sweater plus a box of chocolate covered cherries, my favorite! Mom gave me a sparkly red sweater; Barb, my sister-in-law, gave me blue booties, red nail polish and a small bottle of Obsession, perfect for my make-up bag. I’d put the polish on my list, because I couldn’t find it in Orange Park. She struck it rich by finding it here!!! I’d already mentioned the tie-dyed shirt and bracelet from Lori for my birthday, plus Lynn gave me a musical jewelry box with a “sisters” poem on top, decorated with purple irises, another favorite. My apologies if I forgot to mention something, and I’ll know more when I unpack my luggage in Orange Park, whenever THAT happens…..I hate unpacking!!!!

6 comments:

Suzanne Chappell said...

Hi Kim,
No doubt you're on your way back to the warm state of FL! I know exactly what you mean about the smoke in restaurants. That's one thing I hate about traveling. We've grown so accustomed to it here, we forget that our state is one of the few that have banned it. I love being able to enjoy the real taste of the food I'm paying for when I go out to eat, and only smelling of the food aroma, rather than a "bar fluezy"!

Chowder is a rather crude show. It's banned in my house, as is most of the Cartoon Network.

Sounds like you had a wonderful visit, even with complications that arose! Sad that you have to leave, but, I'm glad you're coming home! I doubt we'll make it to church on New Year's Eve, we're readying for camping on Thursday, and John has managed to catch a cold.

Happy Birthday, and I'll see you on Sunday for sure!

Love you,
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,

Just wanted to tell you that you remind me of how we should really live in the joy of the Lord everyday. My little grandaughter Elizabeth (is 2) loves the song....
Jesus love is a bubblin over, Jesus love is a bubllin over , Jesus love is a bubblin over , oh yeah ch ch ch oh yeah ch ch ch!! We have to sing it every time we are together. You remind me of that song.!!!

Keep on bubblin!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi sister! I am taking a few minutes before I go get my car for our trip to Jamie's. I am dreading packing the car cuz there is so much to take along. Hopefully the roads won't be the worse when we go. I will talk to you over the weekend. I will call Mom when we get there. Love and hugs! Jill

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne!

I am home! Have a huge mess, but I'm home!

I hope the twins' parents aren't upset about us letting them watch "Chowder"! Who knew? Besides Lisa, that is...oops!

Sorry we won't see you any more in 2008, but I look forward to seeing you next year!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Diane!

What a lovely message you sent me! The sentiment is greatly, greatly appreciated. I shall keep bubblin', even as I'm stumblin' through this financial stuff!

Blessings,

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill,

I hope you got all the presents and such loaded into the car, you needed a bigger one this time! Have a great visit with Jamie and grands, and be careful driving!

Hugs,

Kim