My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Sort of a bummer, but then, not so bad!

Good evening, all! Mom, if this color is too hard to read, just let me know and I won't use it again. We must take care of our Mums, particularly if she is a faithful reader of this site!
*
The moon is reflecting on the river and looking soooo lovely. When I came in a minute ago, I barely needed the light on but felt I'd better since my heater is in the room and didn't want to fall over it. The temps were quite warm today, sorry to report to the snow-bound people up north, right around 74 for the high temperature. Don't worry, though, it isn't going to last very long, but Lynn might have one warmer day when she's here. I can promise her no snow, however! Sunday our high is expected to be 70 on the head, good football weather. We are going to miss hearing a special speaker at Bible study Sunday, a representative for our Synod's Central Africa Medical Mission. She is a nurse who works directly with the natives, treating their earthly ailments while sharing the Word with them. Our congregational/voter's meeting is also that day and again, I will miss that, all for going to the Packer/Jaguar game. I'll tell you this----one or both of these teams had better put on a fabulous show for us!
*
Well, my appointment with the attorney went well, it was really good to see Nancy again, as well as her assistant. After we got caught up on family and all that, we got down to business. Our job today was to "answer" the petition I received last week and now the work really begins---where I must gather the dreaded financial information to fill out the official paperwork portion of all this----AGAIN! Ugh! I kicked myself all the way home for having a messy desk and disorganization but then, who knew? It is not really something anyone else can help with either because only I know if it's trash or keepable, or if it's private information not to be shared, that type of thing. "Come, Lord Jesus!"
*
Once back home, I had another appointment, this time with my friend, the plumber. There were a few things needing a plumbers' hand, or tool, as the case might be, including replacement of a shut-off valve under the sink in the guest bath. NOT an easy thing to take care of, though, because it appears that in order to access the pipe, located in the back of the vanity, the entire cabinets and sink have to come out, too! Of course they do! Ugh, again! When they are working on this project, the water for the entire building, or at least the "tower" that houses the units above and below mine, must be shut off. Since we cannot see a date or age on the water heater, no one can tell me how old it is, but it looks wretched. Steve thought it might be on its last leg due to the rust dripping down the sides, but I believe that may have come from the old A/C unit which is above it. The A/C unit has been replaced but the drips remained. While we are at it, I am replacing the toilet in the guest bathroom, since all the others have already been upgraded to the "comfort height" elongated bowl-style potties. Nothing is too good for my guests! I told him the other toilets came from Lowe's and were called "John-in-a-box" and cost about $100---I hope he can find one close to that price or I'll go get one from Lowe's myself! A couple years ago Justin and I bought a toilet for use in one of the places he was living and then they moved out! Talk about planning!
*
Our little birthday dinner was a huge success as Leanne was totally blown away having a tablefull of people to celebrate with. She said no one in her family even called on her birthday but her church family certainly did! Leanne was so excited, her feet didn't touch the ground and all we were doing is having dinner at Cracker Barrel!
*
Joanne left me a phone message to say she lost track of time (again!!!) when making her special mashed potatoes and promised to clean up the kitchen when she got home later on. What should have been a simple recipe turned out to kick her butt and trashed the kitchen! I cleaned up a little bit but the dishwasher was still running when I got home from the attorney's office. When she did get home, I had a dish of her mashed potato casserole and it was totally yummmmmmmy! Too bad it was such a pain in the @##$% to make! My mom used to be that way when she was baking---always flour and such flying around the kitchen. I don't think she was like that when cooking, only baking. My habit is to have a sinkful of hot and sudsy water into which to place my utensils after using them, no matter if they are going into the dishwasher or not. It's my kitchen, I can do what I wish!
*
Tonight I am so tired, probably a little bit stress-relieved and feel like I might go to bed early. The bulk of the cards went out in the mail this afternoon before I headed to Cracker Barrel, plus I tried without success to deliver the presents for my "adopted" foster child at Kids' Net. I couldn't find the right suite number over in the area known as the "monkey farm". I'll need to reference the e-mail to find the right suite number and make my delivery tomorrow sometime, after scrapbooking, perhaps. Monkey Farm is what this area is called because monkeys used to be raised there, and now many of them (or their descendants) live at Silver Springs Park in Ocala. The chimps were used in Tarzan movies and for other ventures, not sure about the astronaut thing, though. Varying opinions of that, but it's fun to speculate. No monkeying around here this evening----it's time for sleeping!
*

7 comments:

Suzanne Chappell said...

I've heard of the "monkey farm" too! John referenced it once, but now I can't remember where he said that was!

Sorry to hear about Joanne's mashed potato mess! My sweet and sour pork made quite the mess out of the kitchen as well. I ended up recruiting John's help in the kitchen, because my recipe did use a batter for the pork, and between cooking vegetables and tending to deep frying meat, it got to be too much! It was delicious, however, the kids didn't like the vegetables (onion and red & green peppers) or the pineapple, and John said it was really good, but too much pineapple. I thought it was awesome! Just what I'd been wanting all day, however, I'll concur, it was a bit too much pineapple. Next time, I'll use a small can of pineapple.

Hanna was complaining of a tummy ache, and I thought it was just an excuse to get away from the table, but she was asleep on the couch, under a blanket by 7:30. Not a good sign, so I'm hoping for an uneventful night with no surprises before sunrise!

Good night, my friend!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne,

I should have read this comment first because then I'd know your meal turned out deliciously, even if too much pineapple. Which I find hard to believe, by the way. I was mocked by the ladies Monday when I reported making the potato and corn soup, because someone asked if I grated my own potatoes. I said I just tore open the bag, and they lost it!!!

Hugs,

Kim

Suzanne Chappell said...

I found a great recipe for "cheesy" potatoes using shredded hash browns and cream of chicken soup in the crockpot! They're awesome, and taste like you could have spent hours cooking them.

I made them while camping over Thanksgiving, and they were great!

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Winter Wonderland!
I tried a new recipe yesterday too!
White chicken chili, in the microwave! It is a Pampered Chef recipe. Tom loved it, he took the leftovers to work today.

I still think of you when I have the dishwasher running, the washer and dryer running, and I'm playing in water in the sink!

Have a blessed day,
Linda

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda!

You made me laugh right out loud, talking about having all the machinery running at once----so productive! Gotta love that hot and sudsy water. That probably came from working for so many years at Shady Lane, making sure everything was clean. Glad to hear Tom gave his stamp of approval on the White Chicken Chili!

Good day for soup!

Love and counting the days!
Kim

kathy b said...

For all you who have been busy in the kitchen - sounds like you need to share your potato crock pot and white chili recipe!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Okay you chefs out there---cough up the recipes----so to speak!

Hugs,

Kim