My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Today we are doing better watching the clock

Right off the bat I am thinking about my dear friend this a.m. because I chose the font called "Georgia", who is Linda's sister! God morning, Linda!
*
I am up and dressed for the day, watching the minutes tick by as I wait to head downtown to see my attorney. Part of me is excited, again, because I haven't seen her or her assistant in over four years since this deal was hammered out the first time. I did keep a little in touch with Loretta as her sister lived down the street from me on Doctors Lake. Going over my numbers yesterday made me think back to buying that house and how much I loved it. I actually wept when Joanne, Justin and I went to see it. The realtor who had it listed was so glad when the offer was accepted because she knew how much I loved the place, saying I was "cute" when looking at it. Don't know about the cute part...
*
Of course, the storms of 2004 totally washed away, in every fashion, the joys of living on the lake since the costs to restore and clean up the mess storm upon storm were just too much to tolerate. My now downstairs neighbors lived on the same street as me during the storms and they got clobbered a whole lot worse than did I, taking a "hit" of over $100,000 damage to their property which is NOT covered by home owner insurance. Nothing detached from the home is covered, and if something attached is damaged, the deductible is huge, a fixed percentage of the property's value. Ouch! And that is why they moved here, right at the same time I did!
*
We'd taken enough of a beating on the lake so we moved to the river and got beaten up again with the seeming endless "special assessments" for our building. Just exactly what is so special about them??? Next year will be another larger assessment, at least one, to pay for repainting and caulking the entire building, to hopefully put a finger in the dyke of the leaks we continue to experience when it rains. The unit two floors above me has recently had its patio replaced and we are all hopeful that the leaks which affected us below theirs will be cured and we won't have to worry about that any longer.
*
Mmm, I am enjoying my leftovers from yesterday's lunch. That Jackie---she is so funny! Somehow or another things get by her, and then she is surprised when it occurs to her or she hears about something. Like when Judy R. was coming for a visit---one way or another she didn't seem to know about this. I was stopping cars on the street to tell them about my friend coming but someone with whom I spend at least two days per week was the last to know??? Anyway, before I even finished what I was going to eat, Patty, our personal waitress, dropped off a to-go container for me in which to put my food. Jackie saw that and said, "Oh, that's why you don't order from the children's menu! You take your food home with you!" Mom used to always mention this when we ate out with the church family and others, but it seemed like new news to Jackie. Because I only have me to take care of, I can get a couple meals out of my take-along boxes, as only single folks can do. Those who must cook and prepare for a husband or a family simply can't think this way. Yes, I eat many meals outside my home, but yes, I eat the leftovers if I am not out eating with my friends!
*
Speaking of which, the plans I had for dinner here tonight are scrapped----I ate up all my leftovers! No, just teasing about that. Several of the invitees are sick, having respiratory problems or stomach ailments so I have postponed the dinner. Not to worry, I had another invitation waiting in the wings with some church ladies, my usual Tuesday night gang. We are doing something special because one of them has a birthday needing to be recognized----shhhhh! It's a surprise!
*
Thanks everyone for being such good commenters on my recent blogs!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Kim,

we are in the midst of a major snow storm! I went in to work about 9:30 AM and stayed until a little after noon. I was supposed to get a haircut, but the salon I go to was closed, will need to reschedule that!
They say we have gotten over 6 inches of fluffy white stuff, and it is still coming. All schools are closed along with many businesses. A good day to stay home and get more boxes unpacked!

counting the days till you visit!
Love you lots,
Linda

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda!

What a lovely snow day you're having! Jill is home making cookies and you are unpacking boxes. A perfect snow day!

Thanks for counting the days---have much to do prior to my visit. I need some perch and some of Copp's sugar cookies!

Love and hugs,

Kim

Suzanne Chappell said...

I can just hear Jackie's comments, too! She is so sweet, and funny!

Enjoy your night out! I've been craving sweet and sour pork all morning, and finally found a recipe in a cookbook that I'm anxious to try! I'll report on it tomorrow at church!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne!

I think it's Jackie's Bronx accent that makes her sound so cute, yes?

You are going to make your own sweet and sour pork??? Wow! I am impressed! In case you didn't know this, I don't normally watch any TV programs that are current, mostly reruns of old shows, but I do enjoy The Starter Wife on USA. She is a wife who was dumped, is trying to pick up the pieces and has her faithful friends to support her, is a writer.......Anyway, she was telling one of the other women about making orange chicken, and I thought, "Hmmm, that sounds good!" You guys are a bad influence me, giving me recipe ideas!

Hugs,

Kim

Suzanne Chappell said...

Well, it won't have the tempura batter, just sauteed pork. The sauce is made from rice vinegar and and soy sauce and chicken broth. It also calls for cooking sherry, so guess I'll have to stop off at the store when I pick up Daniel!

When in doubt, go to the red/white checkered cookbook.. you know the one!

Anonymous said...

Kim,
It's me again, I just made a pot of white chicken chili. A good meal for a snowy day.
we found a new place to have a good perch dinner. It is in Cleveland, it's call Hickory House. A bar with a dinning room, a little bigger than Green Street. the perch and the walleye are very good. I thought of you when we were there. It is a quaint old building. I think we must try it!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda!

Let's do perch!

Hugs and tartar sauce,

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne,

Beware of reciptes requiring strange ingredients----and I don't mean the sherry!

Hugs and chuckles,

Kim

Suzanne Chappell said...

I got lucky on the recipe.. it called for Mirin or Sherry, and to my surprise, what I'd thought was just cooking rice wine, was called Mirin! I did, however, end up going to the store for peppers!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

That sounds just too good, I hope it turns out well and your family likes it!

My friend, Linda, likes to try new recipes, also. Her hubby is such a gem about it---if he likes it, he says so. If not, he'll tell Linda that she can wait awhile before making that dish again. Isn't that diplomatic? And advisible?

Kim