My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, January 23, 2009

Because I am so excited about the upcoming movie........

These are the famous windmills usually shown in movies about Greece, these being the row of five that line the banks along the bay at Mykonos. It is incredibly windy up here, which is why the windmills existed at this site. Only on very special occasions do the Greeks put the sails on the arms because they are fragile and not meant to be working any longer. At this point, looking back over the village, Justin and I are heading toward the bus which will take us to the ship. He had to drag me kicking and screaming back to the bus area by prompting me with going to Santorini on our next stop.....

The blues are bluer here than anywhere else I have been and look especially so against the whitewashed buildings, this one a Greek Orthodox church.

At Little Venice in Mykonos, Justin and I sat along the wall of the outdoor dining cafe and were joyfully splashed as we ate! I got this vase of flowers to pose for me, as Justin kept saying, "Work it, work it, work it" like they do for live models! He is so funny!

Whoosh! Here comes a big wave! In my physical scrapbook I have a progression of the waves coming in, hitting the breakwater, splashing into the air and then recoiling to strike again! It is romantic to sit here, not in the "normal" sense, but in the sense of the experience.

Not exactly the ruins of Greece, this is a photo of Justin taken standing amid the ruins of Pompeii, where he was able to locate an address of a structure he studied about in Latin class. This class is what stimulated his fondness for things ancient (me included!), the art,history, mythology and such that make up the Mediterranean region.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,

Beautiful pictures....like the thought of Latin class. It's the only class I dropped out of in my life...hated sitting in the order of your grade. Anyway I was never going to be a pastor!!!!
Thanks for sharing the photos. Looks like it was a great trip.
Enjoy your day
DeeDee

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Dee Dee!

I never took any class that I did not have to, and probably should have taken Latin, if I had only known.............

I love to share the photos, having posted numerous ones on facebook. Have you seen Bonnie Pelnar's site and her photos? Wow! She posted a picture of me in my graduation gown!

Hugs,

Kim

kathy b said...

I'm excited about "the movie", too . . . plus I had a terrific time last night - dinner, a movie, and a great friend - a triple play! Thanks for being available at such short notice - I look forward to the next date.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Kathy!

Now that I have an idea of what your day is like, I appreciate every moment you devote to my blog postings! Thanks!

Enjoyed myself greatly last night and short notice is usually not a problem for me unless I have meetings or something in the way. Tomorrow to the opera!

Hugs and blessings,

Kim

Suzanne Chappell said...

Hi Kim,
Beautiful pictures, indeed!

When I grow up, I want to go to Greece. When I was 7 & 8 years old, my father was stationed on Crete, we stayed behind, and I would love to go visit there one day.

First.. I have to get over my fear of flying over large bodies of water!

Warming up,
Suzanne

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne,

Justin and I talk about "when" I go to live over there someday, that Crete might be a good option, too, being further south and all---the being 'warm' thing, you know. I have been there at least once or twice, and it has been Greek and Italian and Turkish.....
You are not alone in your concern about flying over the water, but either way, the reward is rich, if you make it or you ditch! Hey, that rhymes!

Hugs,

Kim