My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Fixin' to go meet Rayna...

....but, first, just a few notes from the warmth of my desk. It is really cold outside (forgive me, those where it is extra cold!) with hard freeze warnings cautioned for tonight. I have heard from several folks in the upper midwest regarding being weary of shoveling, layering their clothes, scraping or chiseling ice from their car windows, and bundling children until they are barely able to move their arms. I hear you! Remember, I spent two weeks in that same environment over the holidays and haven't gotten over it yet!
*
When people are considering moving south to live and work, they are encouraged to move during the spring or our version of winter rather than when it is summer or fall, to avoid the trauma and shock of the heat, heat, heat, and oh, yes, the sun! The same thing should be true for those considering moving back to WI to help take care of their moms: do not go when the temperatures are less than 60 degrees above zero! That leaves a two week window for decision making. And what a terrible shock it would be when the "warm" weather wears off and the cold sets in.......it does not matter if you grow up there, once you have escaped, it is incredibly difficult to re-adjust. I think of poor Tarren, moving to IL, after living her entire life in Florida, immediately after CHRISTmas, having to shovel snow in order for the moving van to unload their belongings. Welcome to winter!
*
Off I go to Palm Coast! That even sounds warm, does it not?

4 comments:

Suzanne Chappell said...

I detect a hint of still thinking about leaving! I had hoped you had given up on that line of thinking! I know, I know, your mom needs you! I really hope you stay here though!

Love you lots!

Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Right now it is 79 degrees in the office here at work. Yes I know I should be working but while the cat is away... So right now I am quite warm. Actually it is not the coldest outside either. I guess anything above 10 is warm. Got to go! Love Jill

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne:

Nope, no need to "worry" about me moving away. Mom has the option of moving down here, though, so the ball is in her court, as it were!

I will stay and I love you, too!

Hugs,

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill,

I wish I were in your office nice and warm than cold like it is outside here tonight! We are anticipating 24 for our low, and you must admit, that is cold!

Get to work!

Love,

Kim