My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, January 9, 2009

I am writing about Timmy in this posting.....just so you know

The font chosen for today is again "Georgia" which reminds me of my friend, Linda, whose sister is named after this font. God morning, dear friend! I've also been thinking about my friend, Judy R., who recommended, that rascal, another book for me to read, "Grandma Speaks". It wasn't available at Barnes and Noble, as she feared would be the case, nor did the NPH have it in their store any longer, but I did manage to find a 3-book series by this author which I ordered on-line. Once I am finished reading, I can put them in the church library for others to enjoy. Only one in the series was considered "new" with the other two "used". What have we come to? Buying "used" books??
*
I just hung up after talking with the church secretary, going over the list of e-mail addresses. Evidently someone has a new address since the revised Directory came out in December and I didn't change it in my records, prompting her call to me. She seemed to think she'd be better at sending off the newsletter than am I (ahem, ahem)..........I entered the one e-mail address I was missing (in fact, it was changed, not missing!) and kept custody of my mass mailing ability. We also have another person to add to the two already on the Prayer Chain for this week, two with heart troubles, including my friend, Gordy, and one lady with blood clots. Pastor is going to have a full day of hospital runs but at least two of the men are in the same facility!
*
Before getting out of bed today I finished reading the "Forward in Christ" for January. This periodical is published by my church body's publishing house and is most excellent reading. Many of the articles in this issue touched my heart, their subject matter being just right for what I am experiencing this month.
*
Have you ever noticed, and I guess this is quite well known, that once you decide to buy a new car, you see more and more of that model on the streets than you ever did before? When I was in Manitowoc and missing my son, I'll bet every 10th car was his model, different colors and such, but still were Calibers. Once he was there, I didn't notice the cars as much, or it didn't matter as much perhaps. Well, that's the type of thing that is happening this month for me. First reading how the 9 year old child drown in Mandarin over New Year, and before that meeting the new head of the Building Dept. who thinks about my family whenever speaking about pool safety. Now, the "Forward...." is jam-packed with important articles that are just what helps in soothing my heart as I remember Timmy, and my loss. Not his loss, mine. "For me to live is Jesus, to die is gain for me. So when my Savior pleases, I meet death willingly.....", from our hymnal.
*
"Forward...." has an article about a family whose teenage son was killed in a car accident on his way home from a friend's home, in a car driven by the friend. The story told how the family immediately reached out to the driver and offered forgiveness which wasn't even needed because it was only an accident; how they regretted any harsh words or exchanges they'd had with their son in the past; and how the joy that they'll see their son again in heaven is the greatest comfort of all. Another article is written by a former pastor of a Manitowoc congregation who tells about the chaos he finds in an ER as family members and others struggled with the terrible tragedy they just experienced. They were frantically asking the question of how God allowed this to happen and why. I've witnessed this chaos, but I don't think so in OUR waiting room at Shands.
*
On the closing pages of this issue is an article about "wiping our glasses", pondering the financial messes around us and remembering that we are not the ones in control of what happens in this world. Similar message to the one shared by Pastor Hoyer yesterday in Bible class. Another professor writes about sending his young son off to Iraq, leaving him in God's care. The underlying message in all these articles is that we are but strangers here, heaven is our home!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

God morning Kim
I'm glad to hear you are thinking of me today. We are waiting to hear news of our new grand daughter. She is due to arrive any minute. They are taking her by c-section because she is breech, and there are some other complications. I have been in conversation with God all morning, praying that everything is alright. This has been a difficult pregnancy for Alicia and Matthew. I know the Lord is in control, but I feel the need to help him right now. Please keep them in your prayers!

I will have to get my copy of Forward in Christ and reat it.

I just got a call from Matthew, they will be in surgery in about an hour. So far everything looks good. I will keep you posted.

Love and hugs,
Linda

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda!

How exciting! And interesting to be discussing the loss of one life while awaiting the start of another......

Yes, read your issue before you head down to hold your new grandbaby! Congrats and Lord's blessings today, and I am sure God appreciates your help! You are too much!

Hugs and prayers,

Kim

Suzanne Chappell said...

If I've learned anything from you, Kim it's this...
"Be Still, and know that I am God!"

Love you!
Suzanne

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Thanks for that, Suzanne, that means lots! Pastor Prange used that passage from Psalm 46 in the funeral sermon. Would you like to come and watch with me someday? I think you've already declined but I'll ask you again, in case you change your mind...........

Thanks thanks thanks thanks!

Kim

Suzanne Chappell said...

You know I just can't watch it!

There is an interesting bit of irony in the day of Timmy's funeral that you don't know about... The first time John Chappell ever saw me, was at Timmy's funeral! We had our first "blind" date two weeks later! I hadn't seen him until the SuperBowl party when we met! He said, I looked rather upset, and it didn't seem like the time to pick up a girl. Again... life's blessings at the altar!

Hugs!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

You just blew me away with this...........but I am glad you told me. I love how the Lord's hand works!

Kim

Tarren Prange said...

When we consider the troubles and pain on earth, we can't help but praise God that he created us "helpless". I know I certainly wouldn't know where to begin if it were up to me. We have so much to look forward to!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Tarren!

I'm so glad I checked in before heading off to bed! You are absolutely correct about being content to let the Lord handle things, I have all I can do to manage the area around my desk, much less the lives and living of all nations! We are in good hands!

Hugs,

Kim

p.s. I posted a "warning" so as not to catch anyone off guard......