My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Saturday, January 3, 2009

I've been thinking about something

I forgot to tell you all about my Sunday spent in Two Rivers with Dolly and her family! Again, because of the weather, our plans to get together narrowed to a corridor of "do or die", so I simply joined them at her house to enjoy the Packer game. I used to hang out regularly, when younger, at their house in Mishicot and also their cottage in Door County in the summer time. The only person I didn't already know was Tommy's wife, Debbie, but I know her now----she's a real hoot!
*
Dolly's son and his girlfriend were at the game on this absolutely frigid day but they had no idea where they were seated. The stands were full regardless of the weather as folks gathered to watch the Pack whup the Lions, but I'll tell you what, when the game was tied, the room got a bit quiet. Wouldn't that have been just the pits to have the Packers be the one to break the losing streak of the Lions??!!??
*
Dolly's hubby braved the elements and proceeded to run out of propane in order to cook our brats for lunch. Her kitchen table was dressed with holiday finery and full of dishes with special treats, for pre-game, or rather, pre-lunch! Dolly's parents were there also, such nice folks are they! Dolly and I went to see them after dining at Harborside in September, and had a terrific visit with them. Or at least her mom, Joann, because Don was watching baseball. Nothing gets in the way of baseball season for some folks.
*
There is a giant dog living in Dolly's house, treated as though he were a child instead of a pet. I amused them by barking at Tyler in my inimitable dog bark, totally confusing the dog. They were all surprised to hear a woman barking just like a real dog. And they didn't even have to walk me! Our lunch was delicious: brats, beans, German potato salad, and a pasta salad with schrimp in it. Perfect picnic/football foods, marvelous company, and a winning team!
*
The only way to finish this day was to go have perch for dinner at the Green Street! Lynn and Jill joined Justin and me for dinner, and who was sitting in the dining room but my cousin, Jimmy! Sadly, he was nearly finished with his meal or we could have shared our table with him. He'd gotten a certificate for CHRISTmas and had to use it immediately, I guess. Jimmy works part-time removing snow which is really a full-time job this winter. When we saw him, winter was really only a week or so old and already he'd made almost as much money as he did the entire season last winter.
*
My auntie reported that my other cousins were also dining recently at the Green Street and had an unusual encounter while there. Evidently this older gentleman who looked somewhat familiar had engaged them in conversation and after some time, my cousin realized just who this guy was---my former spouse! I'd just seen my cousins at Lynn's birthday party in September and they knew what I look like, but.....................te he he!
*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Older gentleman what a riot. That is really funny. No one forgets you not even my former classmates.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Thanks, Jill, for that....I appreciate it! Linda, who remembers me, contacted Dolly the other day. I hope they contect with one another. Did you recognize any of the people in the photo?

Hugs,

Kim

Tarren Prange said...

Hi Kim. Glad to hear you had a nice trip. I know the weather has been brutal, especially at the time you were here! At least you got to see some pretty snow (and take some beautiful pictures)!

The Prange Christmas was nice as well. I'll hopefully get a chance to write a post about it soon.

BTW, I need to get the "Prange salad" recipe from you. I just can't pass that up. =)