My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Oh, my heart!

This is a photo taken in late summer of 2007 of Billy Powell "modeling" my beautiful red leather coat purchased in Ephesus, Turkey. Ellen, his wife, has such gorgeous shawls and coats so I went to show her my latest find. Billy felt left out of the fashion show so took a "turn" trying it on. Ellen took the photo with her cell phone and sent it to me. In his hand is a fancy walking stick, so he reminded me of Kramer when he was wearing Joseph's technicolor dream coat in "The Wig Master" episode! First, Billy had grabbed a guitar out of the display thing but Ellen made him put it back because it was too valuable to fool around with. It had signatures and such all over it, so I imagine it was quite valuable. Behind Billy on the wall you can see gold records hanging. Billy usually always wore colored glasses which he explained to me this fall, when he brought me some chocolates and caramel apples, that his eyes are sensitive since the plane crash, because he nearly lost them. That day he also played a private recital for me of classical and original music he had composed, being a trained classical pianist. Now that time spent with him is that much more special to me. And I hope it was to him, too!

*
I just got back to my house after having lunch with my friend, Christine, over at Pengree's. I had made up my mind not to let the phone interrupt our time together as so often happens but when I saw Justin's name come up on the screen, I opted to answer. He is the one who told me that Billy had died last night!!! What???
*
Apparently Billy called 911 reporting chest pains and shortness of breath, as Justin heard reported on the radio. Justin was distraught. He and I both think the world of Ellen, Billy's wife, and only this a.m. I had thought I should give her a call to see how she was doing. Ellen was staying at their daughter's house for a while to help out with the dogs, leaving Billy here with only one dog. I just had a visit with him last Wednesday and now this Wednesday, he has gone home, too.
*
On Wednesday, Billy told me about the good time they had on the recent cruise tour Lynyrd Skynyrd took. The first time they had a cruise tour like this, he told me it the easiest money and the best, he ever earned because it was so simple to do. The downfall was that he was given one of the best cabins on the ship which offered no privacy from the other decks. So, unless they wanted to be called to, waved at, or observed from vantage points, they had to stay inside with curtains closed. I understand there are no fans like Skynyrd fans! It was the same day when he told me about this cruise that I expressed to him, apologetically, that I was not a Skynyrd fan, sorry. Billy told me not to apologize and that it was actually refreshing to have a friend who was NOT a fan, but just a good neighbor!
*
This Sunday after I left the bouquet of flowers at the cemetery, I drove out past the big marker where the bodies of Lynyrd Skynyrd band members were buried in 1977. Almost daily is someone there with a piece of paper and a pencil, tracing the names and dates of the lead singer, another member and his sister, a back-up singer who were killed in the plane crash that Billy survived. Sunday was no exception, and as I got closer, could see a man at the grave, paying homage. I sort of snickered, inwardly or outwardly, that the guy was wearing a stars 'n bars T-shirt, typical of a Skynyrd fan. (Sorry if I offended anyone by pointing this out...) This group was known for their Southern rock so it was nothing unusual to see stars 'n bars all over the place.
*
When Ellen met Billy he was with a Christian rock band, Vision, prior to the group having their reunion tour after the plane crash. He had expressed to me his belief and faith in the Lord and His work so I am comforted thinking of him in heaven. My heart aches for Ellen, though, and I cannot wait to talk with her. When I went to the door after getting the news, her friend, Maggie, who took water aerobics with Ellen and me, said Ellen was resting but would tell her I had stopped by. Their daughter, Maggie (not the same Maggie as above) had gone home to rest, too, and the other daughter, Ashley Rose, was flying in from San Francisco today. I only know Maggie but look forward to meeting the rest of her kids.
*
A while back I wrote a posting about listening to Skynyrd music after Justin had sent me a link to a re-make of a song called "Simple Man". He felt I would like the song because it talked about the things that I admire. The song, re-done by Shinedown, tells about not being hung up on rich man's gold, to remember God above, to be content, and to be 'a simple kind of man'. Do you know what I loved about that song? I love it that Justin said it made him think of me!

No comments: