My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Hoping some of this dust settles.....

Many hours have been spent in recent days on the phone or in person with folks from my church family. Some are dismayed and disappointed about the determination made by the LES Team our congregation hired to help us see "through the trees" regarding adding grades to our preschool or not. If you have missed a few postings, the Team, using gathered facts, figures, individual interviews, discussions with County officials and other area school representatives, plus using the info garnered from the congregational surveys, came to the conclusion that this is not the right time to add grades to our existing preschool.
*
While this program has been a long time planned for and discussed since before I even became a member at this church, nothing says "now is the time". Not even the enthusiasm and promise of students from the few parents who had said they wanted a Lutheran grade school. It was vital and important to have this answer come from those who are not personally invested in our congregation, but who ARE invested personally in Christian education in their career choices and the responsibility of doing this work for our Synod and its churches. These men would have done us a great disservice by recommending we go ahead, roll the dice, start a grade school, and then have it fail because we are not able, willing or otherwise, to maintain and support it in coming years. I, too, am saddened by this, but more by what the Team brought to our attention than by the conclusion.
*
On Sunday I wrote about the "mirror" held up in front of our congregation and the not-too-pretty reflection we had. Much of this reflection is what now brings the phone calls, meetings and written discussions. I am finding out things I either did not know, or did not want to know (keeping those rose-colored glasses handy!)
*
And now I must write a newsletter, using my normally optomistic paint brush. I CAN do that, because, truthfully, I am still looking for the silver lining, the Light our congregation is established in, and reveling in His Light rather than the one which casts the yellowness of jealousy, the red hue of hatred, the green tint of envy, the black tones of sin, the blue tints of sorrow....the whole crayon box that makes up humans. Often crayon cannot be erased. Fortunately, the Heavenly Father has provided the Eraser, the cleanser of all sins and evil, in His Son.
*
Tonight, Ash Wednesday, we begin the walk Jesus took as He prepared to face His accusers, His convicters, His killers, all on our behalf. Let us adjust our focus toward Jesus and to each other in Christian love and unity.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that you are not able to go ahead with the extra grades. The team did their job very well and were honest with your church. I agree with what Linda had said about FG looking in the mirror. We are not going to like what we see and to be honest it scares me.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Kim. I'm so sorry! Church politics can be awful sometimes. Y'all will get through this, though. Keep praying.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Anon.!

I am guessing this is Lynn. It looks like her writing, if that makes sense. Let me tell you, it is quite dreadful, almost sickening, when the bright light of truth, lower case "t", shines on us! We have to allow the Truth shine from us and around us other ways than through additional grades, and not less this freeze us in place!

Hugs,

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jami!

Yes, we will get through, get over it, and get passed it----one way or another. There are several issues at work here, not the least of which is the poor economic outlook, the downturn in employment, folks not able to pay for a tuition-based education, plus the existing junk. Thanks so very much for coming in with support, though, I greatly appreciate the vote of confidence. There is no limit to what the Lord can and will do for us!

Hugs and blessings,

Kim

Linda M said...

Dear Kim,
You need to pursue a career in writing. THat paragraph using all the colors in the crayon box.I've read it over and over.
You have such talent.

Waiting in Wi for Thursdays Snowstorm
Linda M

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Dear Linda M.!

That's it! You are now the official president of my fan club! You say the nicest things to me and I greatly appreciate it. That paragraph you mentioned just sort of fell onto the page, and I can only praise God for the gift! Thanks so very very much for ligting my wounded spirits!

Hugs,

Kim

Linda M said...

Dear Kim,

I hereby accept the nomination.My first order of duty will be to pick my VP and then my cabinet members.

I assume you will be flying me down for the inaugaral ball????

In Storm Watch Mode In WI

Linda M

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda M.!

I can assure you, if you came down here, we would certainly have a ball!!!

Make sure your cabinet appointees all have their taxes paid before they make the trip!

Hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

Kim, I didn't write the comment. I'm sorry I can't comment more but as you know, I don't have access at home at this time. I have to read "on the sly." I do read faithfully everyday and just because I don't comment, know that I'm thinking about you and praying for your church as well as FG. I'm going to get to work now and try to finish everything I can in case we get to leave early today. Lot's of snow, ice, sleet and wind expected. Love, Lynn.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Ooops! Sorry Lynn!
Perhaps that was from Linda then....She will let me know. I hope you get home safe and sound, I heard about the nasty storm warnings and all that coming your way again! Please do not fall down, okay? How was your worship last night, or were you in Sheboygan at church time?

I know you don't have Internet at home but don't put your job at risk for reading my blog----but I am honored that you do!

Love and hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

I'll answer for Lynn....sha made it to church and choir practice. I went to the 4:0'clock service and met Alayna for the supper then she took me home and came back for c.p.I had to pick up Danat school....everything worked out well.....good thing Alayna can drive.

kathy b said...

After reading Paula Rinehart's book "Better than my Dreams" and "The Shack" (thanks Dee and Kim)I'm learning more and more that we need to trust the Lord in all things, especially when things don't go our way. You know, somehow we think we know best, not God!! Two Bible verses come to mind, too - Isaiah 55:8 - "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord." and 1 Thess. 5:18 - "In very thing give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."

Conclusion - the Lord is working, we just might not know or understand all the ways but we need to trust Him completely and be thankful!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Mom!

I think you wrote the second last posting there where you tell about Alayna using the car and going to get Danny and such. Yes, ma'am, you are right, it is good that Alayna can drive and pick up (te he he) some of those extra trips for you!

I hope the weather today isn't going to cause you guys any problems. Is there Bible study in Mishicot tonight? Tell the ladies to be careful, okay?

Hugs,

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Kathy B.:

I should have read the book Dee gave you to read but it would take me so much longer than it did you! Glad you have gleaned such valuable information from both the bookds. Judy J. is part way through The Shack and Pastor has finished it, but I have not had much opportunity to discuss it with him without others around. Don't want to blow the ending for those who have not read it yet!

Hope your party goes well tonight----think of me in the Building Committee Meeting while you party hearty!

Hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

Actually the anon was me because for some reason my password wasn't accepted.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Thanks, Jill, for solving the mystery! Linda J. and I were trying to figure it out!

Love and hugs,

Kim