My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, February 27, 2009

Koko's for lunch, what could be better?

This morning I was thinking about Carrabba's, having not been there in months, it seems. A fellow I know in Morton Grove who used to work at Carrabba's here reported cooking this type of cuisine for a group at church, which simply made my mouth water! Mmmm, I have had some of Duane's marsala sauce and I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between his and the restaurant's sauce. But since I was not going to Carrabba's for lunch.....
*
...I now smell like Koko's. Joanne called me last night while I was at the Building Committee Meeting so I was not able to answer her, but she was up when I got home last night. She said her sister, Toni, and Dad wanted to go have lunch at Kan Ki Japanese restaurant and asked me to join them. Sure! I arrived first at Kan Ki and found the parking lot to be empty, with the opening time posted on the door being 3:30 pm. Nuts! I called Joanne right away and told her the news, so we met at Koko's instead. Yippee! Her dad was not in the mood to eat but the rest of us enjoyed our personally prepared feast cooked by Hung. He always makes an onion special for me as I do not care for the veggies. Such excellent customer service! I have brought half home for either myself or Justin. And Toni paid for my meal, which was icing on the cake!
*
After lunch we stopped in at Hang Ups to say "hi" and for Toni to see the lovely art and gift items. They went down to Maggie Moo's to get their dad a strawberry malt so I sat with him at the store until they came back for him. Clyde had gotten into a conversation with another customer regarding their shared service in the Air Force which brought Clyde sort of back to life for a little while. I stayed and chatted after the rest left. Clyde was finally hungry now, since he was getting his favorite treat!
*
Justin could not join us as he was quite busy finishing up a house, ready for the final walk-through, and then had to go back to the office to clear some space for a renter moving in today. Whew! He has been kept quite busy on the jobsite these past weeks and it seems he has sort of taken ownership of his job.
*
He told me yesterday that he is not been keeping up with the applications he put out closer to his home and school. I realize jobs are not easy to come by for anyone these days but I still encourage him to find a job where he does not have to drive quite so much to this side of the world. Yesterday we talked about how I miss my house on the lake but am glad to have sold it when I did, and he said we had to get away from the spiders! I thought he was over the spider-fear problem but he assured me that, no, oh no, he still has no use for spiders!
*
Kelly T. and I had talked about going to Victory for scrapbooking tonight but now that she has her dad and mom staying with her while he recuperates after knee surgery, she is hesitant to be gone so long and leaving them home alone. Since I am weary, it might be for the best to stick around here tonight. Judy J. is staying with a friend/neighbor at the hospital where her hubby is in need of a heart procedure but will be coming by on her way through tonight to pick up the balance of her tuna salad and croissants leftover from Ash Wednesday. She had expected to leave the hospital that day in time to be at church but the neighbor was not doing well so she stayed with them. Our shared friend, Linda O., called me today as I was coming home from Hang Ups to see if I could have lunch with her mom and her at the China Buffet on Tuesday before Frieda heads back home to MN in a couple weeks. Wow, first a couple meals of Japanese food, then a hankering for Italian, and next week, Chinese! Judy will join us if the neighbor is doing okay by then....If I am ever sick, I want Judy on my team!!!

No comments: