My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

My ears are working out this morning

All things should be done in moderation, and that includes working out. After my quasi-physical exam on Saturday, I have decided to start a work-out program and have started from the top down. In the shower Sunday morning I scrubbed my scalp and hair until it bled (not really!), working the shampoo into quite the lather. Not only exercising my scalp and hair follicles, but my arms to boot!
*
Monday I exercised my jaw by attending Bible study and going to lunch with the ladies. At Longhorn I exercised restraint by not ordering an adult beverage before noon! Especially since I had to work on the newsletter when I got home and had no time for nap taking. My jaw was used for talking with Twila for whom I served as chauffeur and again at Bible study for discussion. My chicken fingers were excellent and we had two new faces at lunch: my friend, Jennifer R. and Kim Tyler, Gordy's daughter, whom Judy C. picked up after class. She enjoyed her time away from her dad's side, and I am sure he didn't mind having his place to himself for a little while either. She will be staying through the weekend at least to help him get acclimated to being home after his rehab stay. Both Gordy and Twila were released at the same time, as though a coup took place! Twila, being younger and having the full replacement, bounced back more quickly than did Gordy, who had other medical complications pop up in the midst of his rehab.
*
I was not moderate in my exercise yesterday, however, as I threw in exercising my tear glands and nose blowing after having several spoken and written conversations with dear ones regarding the conclusion drawn by the LES Team, to not start a kindergarten or add grades to our preschool at this time. Some folks were mightily disappointed, not realizing there was an undercurrent of dissent or dissatisfaction or or or or besides the wretched economic state our community and congregation is in. Mightily disappointed......One young lady, when she read my posting about my ear was hot from talking on the phone suggested that it meant people were talking about me, which would not surprise me one little bit! I believe the superstition actually is if one's ears are itching, people are talking about you, so perhaps I am in the clear!
*
Because of the shedding of tears and outpouring of emotion, my brain (or what remains of it) was pounding, which is the true mark of over exertion---the no pain, no gain theory. It was nothing a rest on the bed wouldn't take care of so I placed myself on the mattress to make even more phone calls, this time to the snowy north. My sister-in-law and bro-in-law actually took my call!, and this is funny because, for some reason or another, when the phone rings in their home, the name of the person calling shows up on their TV screen! Whew! I am relieved that the vote was to take my call. Someone else told me about the movie "Gran Torino" where family members push the phone around the table to get someone else to answer it. I can see that happening when my name shows up on people's TVs! When Harv told me I showed up on his TV, I quickly went to put on some lipstick so I at least looked presentable. He thought that was amusing, and assured me only my name and number show up---whew! But, the way of the future.......
*
Today's workout will hopefully be less so, but is okay if I repeat any of the previous exercises from this week. Especially the hair washing and teeth brushing! My ears started early with hearing jets in the air, my TV speaking to me, as well as my radio playing over the computer. So much talking and sound for my ears to gather.
*
Joanne was on the phone earlier, trying to arrange for her hubby to go sit with her father at the hospital as she has an early morning meeting. I wouldn't work for that since her dad has Alzheimer's Disease and needs some familiarity around him as he heals.
*
Rosalie called me again yesterday, too, which absolutely delights me because I simply love talking with her. She is still trying to keep herself busy even though she is healing from a bone fracture in her foot. One blessing about being home-bound is catching up on stuff that gets missed when out and running every day, but she is also looking forward to making her shut-in visits again and taking ladies to lunch and working at church.......typical Rosalie stuff! She was so surprised to hear that Mom is 84 years old---she was sure they were both about the same age, not 10 years apart. Mom--that is a huge compliment to you, in case you did not know it!

10 comments:

Suzanne Chappell said...

Hmm.. I'm curious about the caller id showing up on the TV. I thought I was quite savvy in the tech environment, but that's a new one! My guess would be that they have some sort of digital/satellite package that allows it all to come together. I'm giving it thought.. would I want it or not. Certainly, no hiding phone calls.. but it would save one from having to get up and walk over to the phone, if they didn't want to answer it!

Very interesting indeed!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne!

Yes, I was amazed, too, particularly when he told me I showed up on his TV!!!! Harv said he has Time-Warner service which I am unsure about, cable or satellite??? You should just be like me and talk to anybody!!!

Hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

I really hope that I never show up on someone's TV when I call them especially early morning. Dan always compliments my nice hair do in the morning before the shower. I just have to let you know that I can no longer play on the computer at work. My supervisor and I were both busted. Now another 6-10 inches of snow could come are way. Is it never going to end for us. It is supposed to be on Thursday which is okay to the point that Dan has no school on Friday. He is off for spring break. LOL! It is getting time for bed. Love you!!!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill!

Did I not caution you about using the computer at work? I hate to say I told you so, but, no I don't hate to say it.....Keep your nose clean, and your hair combed.

Enjoy the snow storm at the beginning of Spring Break!

Hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

People show up on our TV, too!

Kim, your workout sounded painful! As for your church, our church, too, is facing some difficult times and decisions, probably with the same types of undercurrents you speak of. It's disheartening, to say the least. Prayers, prayers, prayers!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jami!

So, when people's names show up on your TV, is that meant for screening purposes or informational or so there are no secrets about who is calling???? No one around here ever heard of such a thing-----and we call ourselves metropolitan!?

Anywhere people are put into the mix there is going to be some troubles, and that is exactly why we have these hospitals for the sick, our churches, where sick people go for healing. May they continue to do just that!

Amen!

Kim

Anonymous said...

Wow!! My name in print!!! My chauffer drove "Miss Daisy" to the nursing home after bible study on Wednesday to see our two members. It was a good visit but always sad to see how there health is deteriorating. Both just waiting patiently (sometimes not so patiently) to be with Jesus. Enjoy your blog. I can't believe I'm writing so much. Waiting to hear from your mom via Facebook.
Lots and lots of prayer now that you have all that paperwork to sieve through. Until next time.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Rosalie!

I really like it that you write so much, do not stop! Maybe this weekend my mom can hooked up on facebook so you two can communicate, but here's her e-mail address: grammak@lakefield.net. I know she'd love to hear from you!

Love and hugs, Miss Daisy!

Kim

Anonymous said...

Kim, I honestly don't have any idea why caller id shows up on the TV. It just does. We do use it to screen, however. If it's an 866 number, I refuse to answer!!!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jami!

I am so slow when it comes to the electronics portion of the world sometimes....Justin, my son, said if we had another cable company besides Comcast around here, we might have the option of the call screening/announcement feature. Saves getting up from the chair if you don't want to answer a pesty call!

Hugs,

Kim