My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, February 20, 2009

What are the moral issues in motion now?

Watching and listening to the market news from yesterday and what is going on today, whew! The family or individuals who are actually paying their mortgages, made legitimate and affordable loans, will be carrying the weight of those who messed up. Did they not read the fine print? Did they have such a skilled, silver-tongued sales person urging them to buy beyond their means? Was the mindset one of "deserving" more bedrooms and bathrooms? Keeping up with the Joneses???? Or, was it caused by job loss and work stoppage perhaps...
*
On the trading floor in Chicago Thursday, a reporter for CNBC, not a right-wing news station, Rick Santelli, just went ballistic about the very suggestion of being coerced into paying the bad debts someone else incurred, "rewarding their bad behavior". He had the traders who were in the room during his report marching around with pitch forks and spears, encouraging him to speak up on behalf of reason and capitalism. Even the traders see the fallacy of "co-opting", taking on the expense of those who messed up royally.
*
Recently I was having a conversation with someone about the joys of my heated car seats. It seems those up north where heated seats would be ideal, it is not a popular option, but here in the South, it is valued. Some say the "cold" is different, but that is beside the point. I made the foolish statement that I could "never live without heated car seats"....
*
It occurred to me what a truly ridiculous thing this is to say! How do I know that I cannot live without heated seats, or a rear window defroster, or intermittent wipers? How about call waiting? How about Internet connection?Is that not just way too much to declare I cannot live without it??!!! It seems that is the mindset of people now, that once we have had something, especially if was given to us, we do not want to NOT have it. Things have value to us, often, when they are taken away. Like air from my tire! When I had air in my tire, I took it for granted-----now that I had a flat, I no longer simply assume there will be air in my tires! The same goes for accountability, if you do not have to be accountable for awhile, you will certainly get used to be not accountable!
*
My understanding is that there is a groundswell forming, other than the traders on the floor in Chicago, where folks are rallying to reclaim our nation, our freedoms. There was a commercial on TV the other night featuring a convertible car, cannot recall the brand, where the ad touted the fact that "America loves freedom", being free to ride with the top down....I nearly choked on my chocolate-coated popcorn. (A gift, not a foolish purchase...)What a ridiculous statement to make in the same week that the humongous government spending bill was endorsed! Supposedly the nation has 'elected' to "mortgage" our freedoms, liberties, independence for generations to come in order to get our shorter-term bills paid (or be the ones paying the bills!!!) by a no longer government of the people!!!
*
Anyone????

6 comments:

Suzanne Chappell said...

On the side of my email page, I have a continual ad .. something to the effect of, $12,000 stimulus checks.. get yours, and take the vacation you deserve. Isn't this type of spending what has gotten us into this mess? It is this type of attitude, "I want what's mine", that is going to ruin our country further than where we are now! Why can't people sit back, and say.. "No, I'm okay, I'll manage! Put the money where it belongs!"

I've wondered, are these ads merely the latest scam? Maybe.. but if not, we're just encouraging more irresponsible spending! Personally, I'm afraid our government is going to end up like Iceland, is it? Bankrupt? Then what?

Anonymous said...

Kim,
I am as mad as you! What is up with these people anyway. They need to take responsibility for their own bills. those of us who live within our means should not be penalized for their stupidity. I think I will get myself a pitchfork and head to Washington DC and clean house!
Linda

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne!

Wow, that is alot of money we can look forward to, because, face it, I deserve it! NOT!!!

Yes, that is the mindset of many folks, thinking about it as being a bottomless pit.

Bankruptcy all the way around!

It sure makes me feel icky, that's all....

Hugs,

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda!

We just are not angry enough or this could not have happened. Of did no one see this coming? It is just wild that this happening and we are evidently powerless to turn it around. About those 3 impotent Republicans who voted in favor---simply to get money for their districts....Ugh!!!

Hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

It is amazing what we all take for granted. How many people actually ahve back up plans if something goes awry. Our furnace went out Saturday and I thought that maybe Dan and I would have to go stay at Lynn's or mom's if the landlord couldn't find a repairman whick luckily he was able to. I depended on the furnace to warm us without any problems. So I am also sending you an email you can use concerning an earlier blog on the TV. Kind of ties in.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill!

Yes, folks are advised to have a back-up plan, even an escape plan if necessary. Good thing you have the comfort of knowing you can go to Mom's or Lynn's or even Lisa's if need be. Good thing the landlord found someone to come in to make repairs on a Saturday. Does your furnace serve upstairs too? What do they do with little ones when it gets so cold??? Oh, my!

I am so glad you are snug and warm again, and appreciate it!

Blessings,

Kim