My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, March 6, 2009

A full, fun day!

Oh, my tummy is so full, as full as my day was! This a.m. I went to Edward Jones to pick up some current statements from Frank and had a wonderful visit with him. Yesterday I had planned to attend a seminar they were having in their office but because of my other commitment, had to miss it. Well, today I got the Reader's Digest version, one-on-one! He is quite animated and really very good at what he does, with a great handle on what the markets and economy, society at-large, are doing.
*
Whoo! Besides the sad news on my reports, I came away full of information and a great visit! As I was leaving the office, I saw a man waiting to see Frank, and I knew him! Many years ago Jeff was our electrician and it was terrific to see him again. His sis-in-law is part of the Art Guild so I sort of keep up with their family news. It was just so nice to see him!
*
Next stop was the cemetery to switch out the bouquet, which had been in my car since Wednesday night. I left them at church Sunday for the Lenten service and then forgot to take them yesterday. Because it was cool outside, the flowers stayed fresh so it was okay. The markers had been freshly surrounded and filled in with soil and it looked so nice around his spot. Sadly, the guys must have been on their lunch break so I did not get to greet anyone today.
*
From the cemetery I went up Wells Road toward the Sonic to get my drink of the day. When I placed my order and then said, "I have a sticker", the young lady told me they were not doing the sticker any longer, but would still give me the drink at half price. How nice! I love nothing better than great customer service, or, maybe second only to Diet Coke!
*
With some backtracking I worked my way over to Kingsley to the Lowe's to order my stuff for the bathroom fix up. In order for the repair to be made to the shut off valve in "Justin's bathroom", the vanity has to be taken out for access. As long as it is out, it will be replaced, vanity and top and faucets. The toilet, the last of the four to be replaced, was purchased also, as was a light for over the mirror, which will replace the existing 1970's-style medicine cabinets with arms holding lights. Really quite dated! I already have a cabinet for placing behind the toilet for holding towels and toiletries, so a medicine cabinet, an unusual size, would not have be sought. If I ever sell my condo, my bathrooms will be in good working order, as will my two shut-off valves!
*
The nice thing is that I pay for the purchases, making good decisions quickly and less expensively than I planned, and Butch will pick them up for me! Even the faucets, which are in a small box, although I could have easily taken them along, were left for Butch to keep the order together. Lowe's has "store-brand" products which allowed me to save money. Gotta love it! This man has replaced these valves in other units in my building and is aware of the idiosyncrasies of the plumbing here.
*
Speaking of plumbing, the water was off again much of the day. It was turned on about mid-afternoon and produced the most lovely color of brown ice cubes. I dumped them into the sink and when I came home later, soil was left behind after they melted. Yech! Good thing I dumped them, and I think I will dump the next batch, too, just to be sure. Monday the plumbers will be back and finish the repairs they were unable to make today, which means another 6 hours without water. This time I will shower early so I don't have to go around with funky-looking hair all day!
*
Justin was coming by after work and did not have his keys so when I went to get my haircut, I left my door unlocked for him. He could get a start on the cleaning before I got back again. I was sitting in the booty shop getting groomed, Barb said, "Here he comes now..." and in walked Justin! He finished working early and decided to come see me down there. After the haircut we went and sat on the deck at Whitey's and had sodas and fried dill pickles in the sun. At least, I liked the sun shining on me---Justin, not too much. When I had left home this afternoon, several people were sunbathing, and a couple teens were messing around, throwing each other into what must have been icy water!
*
We enjoyed our time on the deck, taking in the 'odd' sights which this particular deck affords. It is still "biker week" but I doubt it would be different any other Friday afternoon! The waitress was tattoed like a circus character but I restrained myself from commenting to her. I know of someone who would have! While sitting there Judy J. called to see what I was doing for dinner but Jen had called earlier to make plans. As I told Justin, it stinks to be me!!! It worked out, though, as Judy was welcome to come along to Woody's for supper with some of the Middleburg family. Both Sandy and Judy are from the Detroit area so they truly hit it off perfectly! It had been a while since I had been out with Bruce so I really had a great time and had bbq again in a week's time!
*
Kathy B. was planning to come over tomorrow to unload her pictures onto my computer but she is still feeling sick, as she has been all week. Somehow or another she loaded them onto Facebook in a private place just for me, so all I have to do is go get them. Swell! I wish she felt better, she sounded so hoarse after teaching all day. We have plans to eat lunch Sunday with a prospect couple from church and I hope all feel well enough to do this. I hate it when something interferes with lunch!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, I am tired just reading what you did!! It does not stink to be you!! I am looking forward to having coffee at my house with Kari and Carrie. I am going to make popovers with some home made raspberry jam from Nona. I have the best friends in the world!!
Have a blessed day!!!
Love and hugs,
Linda

Kim Lahaie Day said...

God morning, Linda!

You are up and about early today! Breakfast with the ladies...How wonderful for all three of you! I do hope Carrie is feeling good enough to come over because yesterday she said she felt a bit woozy yet after her flu bout.

Mom told me about the funeral and had me read the hymns which were chosen. Must have been lovely, tragic, but like Mom said, the hymns are sermons unto themselves! Did you go to the funeral? Who played? Just nosy....

Give the ladies squeezes from me, too, and take one for yourself!

Kim

Anonymous said...

Good morning Kim! You bought store brand items. Just kidding. We have to do what we have to do ion these times. For me that means I do not buy the more expensive soda. I usually buy store brand items just because they are cheaper especially at the grocery store. I know os so many people with this flu. Actually Ken the owner of Cedar Crest is just getting over it. When he goes home you know that he is not feeling well. He even went so far as to wear a mask at work and used a disinfectant in the bathroom when finished. We even sprayed down his office. I just hope that mom doesn't come down with it. I got good news at work yesterday. Another one of my best workers that left for greener grass is coming back. Guess the grass is not always greener. Right now I may not have to hire anyone except for a supervisor that can be there at night to be sure the work is being done the right way. Also to be able to do my job so I can take some weekends off.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill!

I am no stranger to store-brands, particularly for things where it does not matter like green beans or faucets. They are like generic medicines---as long as they do the trick! Even the light fixture is "generic" but lovely, and perfectly suitable for a secondary bathroom.

Glad you got your ace employee back again, and I hope you get a break on weekends because of it. Yes, please make sure Mom does not get the flu bug, it is rough! The mask and disinfection is a good way to go, both at work and at home, well, maybe not the mask....

We are going to be in the high 70's today, maybe even 80!!!

Hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi, To answer your question about who played, Neil Neuman,don't know the relationship......I think he played for her mothers' funeral too.Love,Mom

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Mom,

Linda J. told me about Neil playing.

Kim

Anonymous said...

We are supposed to get rain-snow-sleet tomorrow. it is Sunday showcase too so I hoipe the weather doesn't affect the turnout.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill,

I saw on the weather this a.m. that you were going to get some more nasty weather, always on the weekend! I do hope that it won't affect the Sunday Showcase, after all the work that goes into it. Be careful trying to drive and navigate, etc.

Hugs,

Kim