My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, March 6, 2009

I have the greatest friends in the entire world!

As well as my family! I was greeted by a wonderful e-mail last evening from my friend, Suzanne, as she sent me a zip file, complete with instructions about how to open it, of an anthem we are singing in choir, called "Hiding Place". This lilting melody had been echoing in my head the better part of Wednesday night following rehearsal and through the "tribulation" yesterday morning, and to find it waiting for me last night was tear provoking! Linda J. sent me a message about how tears make rainbows on the soul, from a devotional book she is reading, and I told her my soul must look it is hallucinating! Many sent good wishes through phone calls, e-mail and other electronic venues, and I greatly appreciate them!
*
Then, Mom sent me an e-mail telling about the funeral service for a very young lady from her congregation. The father, Greg, was a schoolmate of ours---younger than Jill and me, but older than Kerry, I think. He recently lost his wife to cancer and now he's burying his daughter. Last year, I believe it was, his cousin was killed in an accident in a barn where she was crushed under enormous hay bales, and not too long ago, Greg's mom died. And I am concerned about a meeting and a Court date???? Oh, puhlease!
*
My friend, Judy R., is having her lump removed on the 12th so prayers and good wishes by all would be appreciated. Her spirit is good, excellent, as she reports feeling quite confident after all the tests and exams show it might be a less dramatic surgery than some experience. Of course, no one knows for sure until the surgeon gets a look at it, but from what has been observed thus far, it looks like it might be "only" a lumpectomy". She has already become, in a week's time, the spokesperson for mammograms, breast health and cancer awareness while proclaiming the role of the Father's guiding hand in these matters. We just never know what it is going to be in our lives which spurs us forward!
*
Today I am busily gathering some current information for the Court appearance Monday, but I think I have most of what I might possibly need. My dishwasher is busy in the kitchen, hopefully finished its job before the water was turned off to repair a leaking pipe affecting us all on The Club Continental compound. My hair should have been attended but I think I can make it work until my booty shop appointment late this afternoon.
*
There was not much to clean up this a.m. as my lady friends did such a great job after our dinner last night. Our themed dinner was "Green Food" based upon St. Patrick's Day coming up later in March. My donation was my famous corned beef, cabbage, and carrots which I found to be too crisp (except the meat, of course) but the ladies claimed they like the veggies to have some snap left in them. Justin and I like them mushy so I will cook it some more this afternoon. Sandy brought mashed potatoes with apples mixed in, a sweet taste, and yummy! Christine made a Shepherd's Pie which was delicious, too, and we had Key Lime Pie for dessert, courtesy of Martie. Oh, nearly forgot to mention that Jen brought potato rolls with green butter, and I did manage to recognize some of Joanne's food in the fridge and made a lettuce salad and cooked a cauliflower for our meal. Justin opted not to come for some reason. Betty couldn't make it last night, Brenda N. was sick, Dee and Julia had art conflicts, and Brenda W. decided she has spent too many evenings away from home lately so stayed in to spend time with Jimmie. Okay, I see how it is! Only teasing, I know sometimes it gets to be too much running, especially for those with such a distance to travel. Our theme for next time is Breakfast Foods and I would like to make that delicious apple French toast, but someone else already volunteered for French toast. Can we have too much of that? I will make some thing with meat, so we have protein....hmmm? Suggestions???

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good words re the breast cancer event.... I have been so overwhelmed with good thoughts, cards and even flowers!! And... I know there are zillions of prayers floating up to our Heavenly Father and some being interpreted by the Holy Spirit!! It will be a busy couple of days before the date with the surgeon... but I look forward to the excisement! All is well.... Thanks Judy

Anonymous said...

And Kimmie Cakes.... my prayers will be heard for you and your court appearance. It will all work out for the good of those who love him... .and.... I know you are one of those!! Peace in that area! J

Kim Lahaie Day said...

God morning, Judy!

My friend, Pete Prange, would like to build me up with the words, "This is where the rubber meets the road", where we get to put into practice that which we preach, or know. You are doing just this!

Have a great great fine time with your kidlings who are coming this weekend, and in your prepaarations for the "big day"! And remember how you "trained" for the colonoscopy???? Piece of cake!

It is well with our souls!

Love,

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi again!

It's all relative, isn't it?

I have heard so many people in recent days talking about being happy and where happy can be found, and more than once I have had to stamp my foot about the transience of happiness. Happiness is being cancer-free!

My soul in stillness waits....

Kimmie Cakes

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
I can give you a recipe for a french toast bake with sausages if you want!!!
We need to talk again!!
Love you
Linda

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda J.!!

How did I know you would have a recipe for me??? French toast with sausages sounds double awesome! Can you imagine how awful it would be for us calorically if I moved back to Manitowoc???????????

Yes, we need to talk...as Captain Picard would say, "Make it so..."

Hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

Kim,
How about the sausages like I made the day you came over for breakfast. They were simmered in maple syrup and brown sugar if I remember correctly. You have the recipe in the cookbook you usually have on your counter.
Lynn

Linda M said...

Dear Kim,
Here is a recipe for

Brunch Casserole

2# hamburger
1 pkg Taco seasoning
1 c. diced green peppers
1 lb fresh mushrooms

Brown the above in 2T butter

Mix the meat mixture with one bag of frozen hash browns( I used the cubed ones)

Put this into 1-2 baking pans.(Makes alot, can freeze one)

Whisk together 8 eggs and 2 c milk and pour on top
Top with shredded cheese.
350 degrees
Sorry I don't have a time written down, after 45 min, keep checking it I guess


Surrounded by mud in WI,
Linda M

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Lynn!

Yes, I do remember the very delicious sausages, memorable, too! I think it was in the Thrivent (AAL) Cookbook so I will look for it in there. Thanks for suggesting it! I will let you know how it goes...

Hugs,

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Thanks for the recipe, Linda!

Anyone else who feels like they would like to try this, please feel free and then let me know how it turned out....

Hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

You are a breath of fresh air! I just finished your blog and I'm sure that somewhere among ALL the others this 78 year old will find her name in your book of friends. I love you, Kim.

Julaine

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Julaine!

You most certainly may count yourself and Fausto in the book of friends! I enjoy having fashion shows with you, but I'd say you win, hands down! Thanks for reading the blog, I really appreciate it!!

Hugs and blessings,

Kim