My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Fun and tears on a rainy day (Warning)

This afternoon went by quickly as I put the finishing touches on The Palace Press and got it sent e-mailed to my neighbors. Only one man needs it printed off as he has no computer so I did that. As it printed I went into the bathroom to put on some lipstick and fluff my hair so I could deliver my newsletter to Gus. You never know who you will encounter in the elevator or at the mailboxes, to say nothing of saying "hi!" to Gus, right?
*
Just as it finished printing and I stapled it together, I heard a funny noise from the kitchen. The door? Maybe the wind pushed it open---after all, it's been storming most of the day. Then I heard footsteps in the hall and my door pushed open----Justin! Poor Lynx freaked out and flew under the bed for safety. We were not expecting him so early and I was delighted! He remarked that his stomach was bothering him so I coaxed him to sit in the recliner while I went downstairs to give Gus his newsletter. As I went outside, he came right behind me, remembering he had something for me in his car, so we went down together.
*
I wasted my lipstick because Gus was not home and no one besides Justin was in the lobby. He brought me a gizmo for my laptop to help with reception for in the family room, the wireless connection I use. My mailbox was empty yet, nuts!, so upstairs we went. Mom would be so proud of me, checking the mail now every day as I await my money awarded by the Court. Still nothing. Nuts! To make me feel better, Justin told me he ordered some flowers for me and they will arrive next Thursday. Guess the suspense was killing him, because he blabbed!
*
When we got back up here, he made himself comfortable in the family room where he had the TV set up to watch "Seinfeld". He is a convert! His choice used to be "Frasier" but he began watching a segment here and there at his place and is now hooked! Justin's biggest problem with the show is Kramer, who he thinks is just the worst possible neighbor or friend you could have. Today we saw "The Roaster", one of my favorites, and the one where Kramer finds himself cooking for a Jewish singles group but does not know what he is doing. I warned Justin that I have them pretty well memorized and laugh ahead of time, but he is used to that anyway. When it was done, we watched the outtakes portion of the DVD where Jerry is trying to talk to Kramer who has taken up smoking and made himself look even more hideous. I just roar and hoot in that episode, and now, so does Justin! He made the remark, "These are the ones you are always talking about!". Yeah, that's right!!! That was good, I really needed the laughs today...
*
After we were done watching, and he was contacted a couple times via cell phone, we went into the back bedroom to dig around in "the closet". The V-PK at Victory is looking for certain types of toys and there just happens to be some Legos in the plastic bins in "the closet". Justin pulled several bins out to sort through and gather the Legos together, and I did really well with that, as Lisa's boys only last summer played with many of these same toys. A cardboard box a bit deeper in, however, I did not fare as well. I pulled out a large plastic bag, unsure what was in it. I set it on the floor and then continued pulling stuff out. An ark! A yukky ark! It looked like melted candy or something all over it and sort of moldy looking to boot. We both went "ewww!" and I put it aside to wash.
*
Justin's giant checker set from Cracker Barrel was in the box as well as the board from his Jumanji game. He said he had recently thought about the game because the movie was on TV not long ago. He had me put it back into the box, with the large plastic, noisy vacuum cleaner his brother loved so much. I was struggling to get stuff back into the box in tight quarters and Justin said, "Let me do it." I stepped out and he put his arms around me, saying, "I think you need this" as he saw the silent tears rolling down my face.
*
He wrestled the toys and such back into the box, but we forgot the bag. Cautiously he peeked inside, determining these were the birthday presents I had bought for Timmy but never got to give him. There was a V-Tech carry along computer to help him learn to read. A pair of Dragon Ballz slippers, with what Justin described as cool toes. A Scooby Doo towel, wash cloth and soap dispenser that was shaped into Scooby Doo. Oh, man! At first I had him put the bag away but then stopped, thinking the VPK at Victory could use the computer thing, or maybe I should give it to Manny for his birthday at the end of the month.
*
Wow! This was huge for me!! Why not give the whole works to Manny, a special special birthday present for a sweet little guy!? Not really hand-me-downs because they have never been played with, still with tags or in the boxes. Justin said there is a Dragon Ballz movie coming out soon so the slippers will be perfect. He wondered, though, if we should get Gabe a matching pair.....don't know if I am up for that or not................

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh the tears are flowing. What a wonderful son you have to be there for you with a hug. I had to hunt down Jamie's birth certificate for him. Had some memories come flloding back looking through the safebox. I still have a baptismal card from Grandma Sickles. She signed herself. It will be good though if someone gets to enjoy the things you bought. Warm and loving hugs!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
The silent tears are rolling down my cheeks here too! I could see what was coming as I read. I think giving those things to Manny is a great idea. Lynn had the boys at church again. They are getting so big!!!

cold windy hugs from Wisconsin
Linda

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill,

Yes, an solicited hug is a good thing, no, a great thing! Jamie needed his birth certificate....not ready for the marriage license yet, right? I guess it is not too soon, they don't expire, contrary to popular opinion! Cherish that card with Grandma's signature, I would like a copy of it if you access to a copier. Thanks!

Sometimes it seems so long ago that Timmy died, but not today it didn't....

Hugs,

KIm

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda,

You never cease to amaze me with your insight. My first inclination was to put them back into the bag and then into the box, but then, who knows how long they would be in there again without being touched? Let the little guys take a bath with Scooby Doo and let Manny learn to spell with the V-Tech....someone should!

That Justin was awesome today, he was just right there and wrapped his arms around me, "I think you need this"...he is going to make a great husband some day, and hopefully a wonderful daddy, like Tom and Matthew!!!!

Love and hugs,

Kim

Suzanne Chappell said...

Hi Kim!
That Justin always makes me proud! I think he will indeed make a good husband one day! He's seen the harsh side of life at a very young age, and has learned to be sensitive to his mother's feeling and others through it all!

The "yucky ark" made me laugh. I'm surprised it wasn't syrup! Chocolate is just as funny. I'm glad you're going to pass along these things to Manny. He will enjoy them.

I have no idea what Dragon Ballz are. Guess I'm going to have to do some research on that for Daniel!

You gave me a hug tonight when I needed one! Thanks!

Tightly held, squishy hugs!
Suzanne

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for the kind words about Justin....I guess he and I are just a couple of huggers, hopefully at all the right times. Wow, thanks so much for what you said about Justin!!!

I put the ark through the dishwasher, but whatever was in there did not come out. I have it soaking in the kitchen sink right now. I should have sniffed it to see if it was syrup. Thanks for that good memory!

Tight squishy hugs to you, too!

Kim

Anonymous said...

I will definitely make a copy of that card for you. yes the certificate will be for the amrriage license. Do you realize that he will be 24 in a few weeks. It seems that he was just born. How often I think of the reaction you had when the doctor said a boy. Better get off to work. Hugs!!!

Anonymous said...

Good morning;Justin can't help being sp nice.......look who his grandma is!!! I got to entertain the "boys" after church last night instead of them going to choir practice with Lynn. No problem....I have a box of toys that they don't get to play with real often so they enjoy that. The "pith"helment had to be disposed of as it was cracked.Mom

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill,

No, it did not occur to me that he will be 24 this month---wow! I guess they are taking care of details now in case he gets a job and will not have time later.

I was sure expecting that baby to be a girl because that was all we ever had before!!! He changed our lives (in my household especially) and I will cherish those memories.

Hugs,

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Mom,

Oh, no! Not the pith helmet!!! That really "piths" me off.....I know you hate that but I could not resist.....

Glad you had some special time with the boys while the ladies were at choir, they certainly did better at your house than in the choir room.

What did you think when I wrote about the bag of toys and special presents I had for purchased for Timmy? I had shopped ahead because of the surgery, knowing I would not be able to drive or go running in the stores....Now Manny and Gabe can play with them!

Hugs,

Kim

Tarren Prange said...

Hi Kim,

Just catching up on my blog reading. I didn't have much free time this week!

This is a HUGE deal for you to be giving away Timmy's birthday gifts. I'm sure Manny will appreciate them (and Lisa too!).

Hope you have a nice weekend!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Tarren,

When I wrote the posting that day, I added the caution because you asked me to warn when the subject matter might be tear-provoking. I had you in mind....

Yes, it is big and not quite so dramatic having the toys stay in the family and used at Victory. It is a good feeling knowing they will be appreciated and cherished.

Don't worry, though, there are still plenty of toys here when Grace and Lucas come to visit again!

Blessings,

Kim

Tarren Prange said...

I thought that warning might have been for my sake, as you know you've caught me off guard before. Thank you for the advance notice! =)

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Tarren,

My sister, Lynn, who has to read at work because she has no home Internet has also requested the warning so she is not crying at in opportune times.

So glad you could catch up your reading....I check the Prange page daily to see what is new...

Blessings on Palm Sunday,

Kim