My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Oh, I am crushed!

Here I had myself all psyched into getting out the paints, brushes and canvas this morning, and then, Chris called-----she is feeling quite achy and sore from the rainy weather plus had a bout with vertigo.....okay, I get it, she is not coming today. Rats! This also means that Martie will not be coming because Chris was going to bring her as Martie's car is in the repair shop. Rats again! Chris gets a huge pass from me, though, as she is rife with rheumatoid arthritis and is really quite the trouper. When she says she cannot do something, you had better believe her! We are going to try again for next week when hopefully the barometer will be just right for her to venture out. Some areas of town have had more than three inches of rain since it began yesterday, with chances all day long for it to continue.
*
In her mid-50's now, Chris has had many operations and procedures to help her get along better, and I like to tease her that she has no original parts! Most recently her throat was operated on, making the opening larger, preventing her from choking as often when eating. RA is a sneaky illness and affects people in different ways, not every patient the same. She also had back surgery recently and foot surgery, to replace a portion of her ankle. Chris keeps on truckin' and forbids any one from feeling sorry for her. Of all the ailments and things she experiences, the ONLY regret she has in her life now is that she can no longer run......can we say as much? Martie and I often express to each other what a great inspiration Chris is for us. She would flip if she knew that! I mentioned her name once in front of Kathy B. and she knew Chris, too---actually had sung in choir with her at a Baptist church in Oakleaf or Argyle in the past. Small world!
*
First thing this a.m. I checked my computer as best I could to make sure I did not have the virus we have been warned about. Suzanne sent me info from her IT people plus what I garnered from Fox and Friends this a.m. about how to detect it, who is vulnerable, and such. It seems that home computers are not as likely to be tapped, but mainly people using shared files and servers, those in business, and those who do not have regular security updates, etc. Since I was able to type http://www.symantec.com/ into my browser line and had it come up, no virus is yet in my machine. If one cannot open the above security sight, the virus is preventing it and you might have a serious problem.
*
Last week I took advantage of a 50% off coupon from Coldwater Creek and ordered a few tops to use for the summer months. Just because they look nice on the catalog page or on the models, does not mean it will look nice on me! Ugh! The styles I chose seem to be quite clingy and you would think in my size of garment, clingy would not even be an option. The fabric is such that it sucked on like cling wrap is supposed to do, not one bit flattering. A couple tops worked out okay, not fabulous, but okay while the rest can be returned at the store at Town Center Mall. At least I do not have to ship them all back.
*
Poor Joanne! She has the most incredible things happen to her, or around her...Sunday night she got a phone call reporting that a house she has listed near Palatka, which has a fully-executed contract written by her as well, had burned to the ground! Never before has she had this happen and how to proceed?? First order of business is to speak with her Broker and then with the Real Estate attorneys in their association.....unbelievable! The good news was that no one was living there and the sellers had much of their belongings out of it already. It seems another agent had shown the property Sunday afternoon as a back-up contract in case the first one did not work out, but when they left the house, all was well. Fire investigators have been on-site and a detective interviewed Joanne over the phone to see if they can piece things together. How this all plays out is yet to be determined but I felt so badly for her, as she had both ends of the transaction, and now basically had it snatched away by a disaster.
*
It seems I neglected to mention what I got in the mail the other day----no, still waiting for my money awarded by the Court----two boxes with my name on them! Mom sent me a dozen sugar cookies from the wonderful bakery in Sheboygan, Johnston's. She did not send the frosted ones like those I get at Copp's or at Johnston's when I am down there because she was not sure the frosted ones were sugar cookies, since the sign did not specifically say so. These are so delicious, and when Joanne munched on one, she was oohhhing and aahhhing about how good they are, declaring them to be "the real deal"! That they are! I even bought milk yesterday just so I can dunk my cookies and enjoy. Thanks, Mom!!!!
*
The other box, obviously book shaped, was sent to me from Linda J. A couple weeks ago she mentioned reading a book about splashes of joy that reminded her of me, so she had one sent to me!!!! I tore it open and started reading, even though the pages are dated, figuring, "hey, it's MY book!!!". Oh, it is rich with Scripture and good advice, fun stories, uplifting verses, abundant joy. Thanks, Linda!!!! Not only I am now enjoying dunking cookies, I am splashed with daily doses of Joy!!! I am no longer crushed.........it passed!

No comments: