My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Home from the vet

Unbelievable!!!! I just spent nearly $100 on this cat!!! Am I upset? Yes!!!
*
When I got home after spending time with Chris N. today, Joanne was still here, in her jammies. Jo told me Lynx and she just sat and moaned together all morning. I decided that something had to be done with the cat before it is too late---but how? At Great Hang Ups, Julia offered her mom's cat carrier for taking Lynx in for a check-up but they were going to a funeral today so would not be available for me to stop by and pick it up. Then I remembered my neighbor, Rose, has a small dog and must have to transport it one way or another. Sure enough, I got hold of her hubby and he delivered the carrier right to my door!
*
The vet asked me if it was possible Lynx ate something she should not have, like yarn or string. I had wondered about this myself and all I came up with was Easter grass. She thought that grass would probably be too short and would break, so was not likely the problem. The vet took Lynx's temperature, which was slightly elevated, but not enough to be a "sick" problem. Regardless, the vet gave Lynx a shot for nausea and one with an antibiotic, plus a bottle of amox. to go! Can you just see me wrestling the cat to give her a dropperful of the pink stuff? I wonder if it works to pinch her nose shut so she swallows, like we did with Timmy!
*
She also recommended giving Lynx some milk or yogurt or ice cream to lick on, in order for her to get some nourishment. I bought a small can of tuna on the way home, when I picked up Tylenol for Joanne, my other sick girlie, and Lynx is actually giving it a try right now. I only hope she will not cough that up on my bedroom carpet later. IF the medicine and other TLC do not do the trick, the vet said our next step would be blood work, x-rays, and probably surgery. I put my hand up and declared, "That will not happen!" and they nodded in assent. I had already told Joanne when I left with Lynx that she should not be surprised if I came back with an empty cat crate....They can just give her a nice shot and put her to sleep, rather than have her undergo surgery on her intestines to unwrap a string or yarn wound around in there. Nope, instead it would be "good night, Lynx!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cost just as much to take a pet to the vet as it does for us to go to the doctor. I hope that the problem can be solved without the sleeping part of it. Just got home from seeing the Air Force Band and Singing Sergeants. Wonderful time and beautiful music. Went with mom, Lynn and Armilla. Got home and Dan had one of his migraines. Doesn't get them too often anymore but when he does it is bad. I will get him to bed now so he can feel better. Hugs!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Lynx. I remember when Sheena was sick. The vet gave me pills (before I knew she was sick) which seemed to be the end of her. The more pills she had, the sicker she got. I felt she was suffering and did have to put her to sleep. It's hard to do to a pet you've had for so long, but also more humane than letting them suffer.
Sunshiny and warmer today but wet weather is on the way for the weekend.
Love, Lynn

Anonymous said...

Hi; Sorry to hear about Lynx having problems....I don't think I would subject her to surgery if she doesn't get better......more humane to just put her to sleep.Pat,my old neighbor went through all that with one of her cats and then in the end she had to be put to sleep anyway so he suffered for nothing(it was a he) Mom

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill!

Glad you had a wonderful time at the concert with the ladies. I am sorry Danny had a migraine, I hope he feels good enough to go to school today.

Yes, it does cost too much for either pets or people to see the doctor!

Hugs,

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Lynn!

I am so excited to be hearing from you! Certainly I will not let Lynx suffer nor will I pay huge sums of money to have surgery. She has eaten a bit of tuna and left some foamy discharge on the rugs in several rooms but does not seem as uncomfortable as she was yesterday. We shall see....

Thanks for writing, and I am glad you are seeing some sunshine!

Love you, too!

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Mom,

You know I am a pet person in the first place, for the very reasons that came to be---it became my job to take care of them, regardless of the many promises made upfront. Umphf! And now I will be the bad guy and her put to sleep, if need be, because her health is poor. Aren't you glad you are not a cat????

Love,

Kim