My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I have two sick girlies here....

My mom used to get the occasional phone call from Grandma Sickles, who lived within blocks of our school, when one of us girls would show up at her house, claiming illness. Grandma would get us situated on her studio sofa (now called a day bed), having us take our dresses off so as not to wrinkle them, cover with a blanket, and then place the call to Mom. "I have a sick girlie here...." and her voice would trail off, as Mom tried to guess which one it was today. More often than not it was me, who simply hated math class. I was not smart like my sister, Lori, when it came to many subjects, but smarter in ways that cannot be graded. So, anyway, Grandma would call Mom to report a sick girlie lying on her sofa in her petticoat, waiting for the illness to pass.
*
I have two sick girlies here today: Joanne and Lynx. Joanne has complained of a sore throat since Monday, thinking she caught it from Christine, who is also sick. Christine is doing her finals for culinary school this week, managing to get a 98 on Monday although sick as a dog. Or sick as a cat, as Lynx continues with her malady, the medicine not really making much difference. Instead of her usual following me around the house or sitting right here in the room with me, I seek her out, finding her resting on the floor in front of the TV. This is so not Lynx.
*
Justin called this a.m. from Miami to check in, and we discussed the sick kittie situation. Apparently he read my blog because he knew about her being plugged up. I told him I felt badly for Lynx but have a real problem considering spending much money on her. Perhaps a simple enima would take care of it, but somehow I would have to get her to vet and back again without a cat carrier. Does anyone have a pet carrier I can borrow? Does anyone want an impacted cat?
*
Today my friend, Chris N. was coming over to paint with me but I have also been invited to a lecture at the Thrasher-Horne where Beth and Toni's art show is being featured. Chris is meeting over there as she has not seen their show yet. We are also planning to stop at Great Hang Ups once we are done at Thrasher-Horne for Chris to view that show. Martie is still busy with her grands and daughter-in-law who are visiting from England. The boys are named Logan and Moses---yes, Moses. This officially makes Martie Grandma of Moses!

2 comments:

Linda M said...

Dear Kim,
You got to leave when you said you were sick!!!!!!

First Grade was quite the adjustment for me, being an only child pretty much used to spending the day watching I Love Lucy and other reruns of the day.

When we were sick, we got a nice plastic sofa to lay on in the Mothers Room of church.

I'm not feelin so Good!!!
Linda M

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda M.:

At times, when feeling sick at school, the only place there was a sofa to lie down on was in the school basement's "Men's Club" which was a pretty scary place to be as child, alone in the dark basement. The pool table had wires overhead with beads which were moved around to mark score, and there was even a bar on one end of the room! There might have been an animal head, too, but my imagination and memory might be playing games with me.....

Grandma's house was much nicer, and we did watch "The Price is Right" or something like that wwaayy back then, in black and white. No, I remember! It was Art Linkletter's show in the afternoon....

Great trip down memory lane!

Kim