My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Sunday, May 17, 2009

What a mess!

I am seated on the loveseat which is pulled out into the family room, watching a TV only recently plugged back in. The TV stand is also pulled away from the wall and once more towels and sheets and blankets are spread about to sop up the water drips. Yikes! It was Tropical Storm Faye all over again but with incredibly scary winds this time. Paul, Emily, Sarah and I were in the family room, with Paul and I watching a "Seinfeld" episode when it became apparent that the wind was bending the palm trees almost to the ground...Yeah, I think we are having a storm! Almost immediately we noticed the water running in around the window and the sliding glass doors....oh, no, not again!
*
Paul helped pull the furniture out and get the towels in place, unplugging the TV (nuts!) and Emily helped me remove the glass pieces from the window in case the windows didn't hold. We saw what might have been a lawn chair go floating by in the river, and I remembered the winds a few weeks ago that took the neighbors' gas grilled over onto its side. Oooh, that would be terrible if the wind blew it my direction this time! We did not lose electricity but the lights blinked many times. The rains were just torrential, lightning wild, and thunder booming, with Sarah half afraid and half excited about the whole thing. As soon as we said, "Stay away from the windows and doors!", she headed straight for them! Of course!
*
Emily thought they should stay to help put things back but I wanted to keep the water catchers in place at least until the storms ended. They left as soon as it seemed to let up a bit, but it was still raining and lightning. Paul has a bulging disc in his neck giving him a fit and I did not want him doing any more than he already had to help me. Justin is coming by tomorrow to give me a hand with the furniture and such, which I appreciate. He has school tomorrow night so will not be able to stay, and I can do much of the clean up before he arrives. I filed a "damage report" with the maintenance guys in my building, not because they can fix it but they at least need to know what is going on in the various units. Hopefully some of the leaks will be corrected when the building is caulked, sealed and painted this summer. What's another $100,000.00 capital improvement, especially when we are flying around moving furniture and laying out drip cloths for the leaks????

2 comments:

kathy b said...

Oh my goodness . . . what a mess! I'm so sorry this happened. Again, thanks for the invite. I was able to spend time with Mom (who unfortunately was having a bad day) and Kevin and Kelly!

I hope today's weather doesn't add to your situation . . . I'll call you later to check on you.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Kathy B.:

Oh, I know how to show my guests a good time---"Here, grab this end of the loveseat and pull it out!" "Jump up on the chair and take down that wallhanging!" "Oh, more towels and blankets over here!" Oh, yes, you missed all the fun by hanging out with your family instead. Sorry Mom had a bad day, though, quite sorry.....

It is the driving rains which cause the problems and so far now of that is expected today. Only the gloomy skies and misting rains, fortunately.

Tonight I have two meetings at church but maybe I will see you before or after?

Hugs,

Kim