My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Crying over spilled marsala sauce!

If I didn't have ants before, I surely will now! While I was preparing my potatoes for boiling, making them into German potato salad later, I reheated my leftovers from dinner at Carrabba's last Friday night. It appalls my friends that I use the actual container to re-heat and I guess I can understand their dismay---it melts! When I got to my desk with the foam container, I realized there was a small hole in the bottom. Wisely, I flipped the box end for end, so the food would be in the cover portion of the container. WHAT A MESS! The juice from the meat as well as the marsala sauce splashed all over my desk, on my papers and in between them. Ugh! Such a good smelling desk, though......I transferred, more carefully this time, the whole works to a glass plate which allowed me to cut the steak with a knife and not make more mess! Got floss???
*
It is just pouring out there, I cannot view Mandarin from this post. This a.m. should have been water aerobics but when I looked out the door, I did not spot anyone bobbing in the pool. Whether or not it was officially cancelled or if no one showed up, I do not know, but the weather was sooo iffy, I vote "no"! If the sun is not out there first, I am not out there, and with the rain showers coming and going most of the day, I opted to get showered and dressed instead. Joanne called me to report she walked a mile on the beach, as she stayed at her new digs last night. She asked if I was jealous and I said I was not jealous about walking but would not mind sitting on the beach watching her walk! She will be here tonight for the dinner and I am going to put her beans into the oven so they are ready when people come.
*
Justin and I had lunch yesterday, as I noted earlier, and he is such a character! He can do an imitation of the famous interview of Michael Jackson a few years ago, where the singer tells of sitting on the bed with little boys, eating milk and cookies in front of the fire, "it's so sweet...". Justin did his imitation before the chef came to the table and I was just laughing my head off! The others at the table wanted a sip of whatever I was drinking....only soda, I promise!
*
Then, out of the blue, Justin brought up the subject of the book I am writing. He asked me if I was willing to change the book. I asked, cautiously, just how I could change it, as he has not read it. (Only one other person on this earth has done so....) His suggestion is that I write a book about myself, and when I looked questioning, he added, "because you have done so much." He went on to say I could incorporate Timmy's story into mine, which, of course, would happen anyway. Justin thought I could write about what happened before and after in our family. Really? Well, I did not totally discount what he suggested but I think I will continue with the book the way it is for now. He thinks I should be a writer like Francis Mayes, that is what he told me yesterday, anyway. Maybe HE should be a writer and tell my story from his perspective---wait, NOOOO!!!!!!!
*
Tuesday after Kathy's mother's funeral service, I came home and was pondering a few things, naturally. A couple ladies I want to hear/see the video tape of Timmy's funeral service have refused, saying they could not bear it, but I so want them to hear the wonderful message delivered that day in the sermon. The music and singing were one part, the sermon the other. So, I sat down and sent a request to my friend, Pete Prange, to see if he still had the text in his computer files, and if so, would he mind sharing it with me. Within the hour, it was in my computer! As soon as I opened it, the tears began and I was an emotional mess, but a good mess. Not like the one on my desk at the moment.
*
p.s. Friday now, and what smelled so good yesterday when splattered on my papers and desk does NOT smell as good the second day-----guess I will need to take care of some paperwork soon!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh dear.... that does sound rather messy! that might be one reason not to use the container. And... I just erased the rest of my rant!! =) like talking to the choir, right???

what a blessing this computer age is for us.... just like that, being able to step back to the day of the noting!!

peace to you... through all the tears

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
Hope all the ladies had a good time at your dinner! The potato salad and beans sound delicious!! Wish I was there!

I agree with Justin about you writing a book about yourself, having read what you have written, I think it would be great!! Filled with tears and laughter, what more do you want!!!

Love you lot!
Linda J

Anonymous said...

We really could use some of that rain you are getting. Are you losing your roommate now? I am glad that you were able to receive a copy of the sermon from Timmy's funeral. Any chance you could share it with others? Bed is calling my name so I am going to go and get ready for a good night's sleep. Must be at work early since I am the chief phone answerer tomorrow. Hugs!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Judy R.:

I figured out who you were by your style of writing, is that not fun? Yes, my co-eaters say that foam box materiels are not good for reheating because of what it is made of, but I like to save time and dishes.......Ended up with a mess this time, though!

Yes, the machinery does the remembering for us, does it not? It is so wonderful that Pete kept the sermon in his "files", as though he knew someday I would come knockin' for it. Maybe he references it himself every now and again because it really was quite the momentous occasion, for all of us!

I send you peac as well, through the tears and giant smiles and hugs!

Kimmie Cakes

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Linda, my friend, I never ever prepare for a themed-dinner without you on my mind and in my heart! In fact, we had a place set for you, in case you showed up!

The idea for the "other" book is a good one but there is so much that happened in those years that does not need to be publicized......you know, but would be necessary for character development and faith building purposes. Ugh! Justin suggested writing it as "fact-based fiction", like a Law & Order episode. He is always thinkin'!

Hey, I demand to know what is going on here! First you agreed with Judy about me speaking at a women's retreat and now with Justin about writing the other book......Help, help, the paranoids are after me!!!

Hugs and blessings,

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill!

Yes, Joanne is in the process of moving herself to the beach condo, bit by bit. I offered Justin's services as he lives that direction and hangs out at his friend's house at the beach.

I will be glad to share the sermon with you, and it warms my heart to have you ask me for it. I will forward it to you. Mom has a copy of the funeral service on tape if you want to watch it sometime, too. Remember all the singing?

I hope you have a good day at the parlor. What's the word on the computer classes, by the way?

Nag, nag, nag....

Kim