My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Now that is more like it!

Nearly my entire day was spent in the company of friends/family on Wednesday, from sunrise to almost 11:00 pm!!! Love it!
*
The morning began with bacon being fried and a recipe for baked beans pressed into service, using beans which I do not recognize. I am sure it will be delicious and I probably would have been better off not seeing what Joanne was putting in her kettle! It does taste good so I can get past the funky beans she used. Now that I think about it, I wonder what kind of beans are used in the canned stuff I buy??
*
All of a sudden, Joanne had to fly out of here for a conference call at her office so I assured her that I would take care of the cleaning up of the kitchen which she had already begun. After all, she was cooking bacon for my recipe as well. It did not take me long to get things polished up and I was back to my computer. Justin contacted me via IM to let me know he was stuck inside due to the pouring rain so we agreed to meet for lunch at Koko's. He got there first and I found him in by the ladies' at Great Hang Ups. Dee had been on vacation and ours did an overlap thing, if you recall, so it was wonderful to see her again.
*
Justin and I enjoyed our lunch, and of course, I have a nice box with at least two more meals leftover which I brought home with me. He was going back to work, to clean out one of the offices in the lower level of the building, since he could not cut grass or pull weeds. I spent some time after lunch with the ladies and then stopped for groceries at Publix. The soda deal was still going on so I stocked up on the 12-packs as well as other things I needed, forgetting to buy butter. Nuts! At least I have soda! Publix was carrying Diet Coke, 5 12-packs for $12---a real steal! Makes for a very difficult pushing of the cart, though!
*
Justin is house sitting/dog sitting at his father's house for about a week. He is going to squeeze in some time to spend with me on Friday so I will have to come up with a plan for us. I cannot compete with the Taj Mahal's bells and whistles that he is enjoying this week so will have to come up with something exciting for us to do---I know! "Seinfeld" episodes!!! Nah, we really do not need all that much to stimulate conversation between, as George Costanza would say, "We communicate with long, soulful silences....". I just saw that episode on TV the other night and that really makes me laugh!!! Trust me, there is little silence when Justin and I are in the room!
*
Pastor called me as I was unloading my groceries, telling me the weather would prevent our going canvassing Wednesday night, but wondered if I would be available to come before choir rehearsal for a Companions meeting. I explained that I had already made plans with Kathy B. for dinner. I was excused, then. Kathy and I met at our Longhorn near church where the Monday Bible study ladies dine when class is in session. We enjoyed our meal and gave us a chance to just chat now that her mom's funeral is completed, the body being shipped to her hometown in MS.
*
We arrived for choir a few minutes early as Pastor and Debbie were finishing up their Companions visit. We had a nice group of ladies (Brian is in NJ for the summer) present to do a run-through of one of our new liturgies and practice a hymn which we are going to sing a capella at some point down the road. We are getting sooo brave!!!
*
Once choir was over, Suzanne, Kathy and I went to get an ice cream treat from the Dairy Queen on Blanding. I pursuaded the ladies into sitting at the tables outside---they were concerned it would be too hot out there. This proved to not be the case and even Suzanne admitted to being a little chilly. It was "only" 75 degrees when I finally went home, which, Linda, is NOT tank-top weather! We talked and laughed and talked some more, watching the race-track traffic on Blanding until well after 10:00 pm.
*
When we walked to our cars, Suzanne wanted us to hear a song she had on a CD from a member at Keystone Heights church. The artist is Tressa Jordon and has a radio show and local TV show in Nashville. She plays bluegrass-style music and her daddy, who is a member at this same church, is encouraging Suzanne to take up the violin/fiddle so they can have a hoe-down together. Kathy came up with the big idea of having a bonfire gathering at some point and have the musicians from both congregations provide the musical entertainment. Sounds like an amazing idea to me--let's make it so!

2 comments:

Suzanne Chappell said...

I had a wonderful time at choir and certainly at DQ. Thanks for the treat, although that was not my intention. Kathy and I stood there and talked even longer, and when I got into my truck it was 11:45! What were we thinking??? We had a really nice chat, though. John called sometime shortly after you left and wondered where in the world I was, and mentioned had I called prior to going, he would have been fine with it, but wasn't happy not knowing my whereabouts at such a late hour. Oops! I apologized.

Tresa Jordan's show is on tonight at 5:30 if your interested in watching it, but you have to download TVU. Here's the link, and it's on channel 640 once you download TVU player.
http://www.bluehighwaystv.com/

Hugs!

Suzanne

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne,

We sure never expected to be out THAT late and I know you have a much longer ride than do I!

It was a pleasure to have that time together, a long time coming and a necessary one!

Tonight won't be good for me to watch the show, I don't think, with the ladies all coming for dinner, but I will save the address for future viewings.

Hugs,

Kim