My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, August 21, 2009

What? Is it raining again?

Tell me this is rainy season or tell me that no hurricanes are going to come this way so I will not complain about the continual storms! Barely did I get home before the lightning began to flash around me and the heavens opened. Seems that every time I go to Publix, I return to a storm, or find myself in the midst of one.
*
Today I had the thrill of meeting a brand new American, a couple with an infant baby adopted from China. They just got back Sunday from their ordeal, bringing their child home from China. Mara is adorable, has the cutest little pug nose, and gorgeous dark eyes. For eleven months old she is incredibly tiny but since they took her in their arms, about three weeks ago, she has already gained a pound and a half. While she does have some catching up to do developmentally, she is way ahead in the charm department. Right now she cannot sit up on her own, but already mastered the art of keeping herself covered with her blankie!
*
Today as I was leaving the property, my phone rang with Joanne on the other end. Once more she wanted to have lunch, this time meeting Twila at Red Lobster. Cool! My only other plans were to go to Hang Ups (where I met Mara!) and go to Publix, so yes, lunch it is! As I walked from my car to Red Lobster, I saw this family of three walking along Blanding, including a young child. Today was obviously my day for young kids! The man had this enormous back pack on and was walking what I consider too far ahead of the mom and little girl. Mom was pushing this huge stroller laden with what might have been their entire household. I called to her and asked what was going on. She said they had been evicted from their house and were walking to her friends' house to stay. The area they were heading was just beyond the cemetery so they were nearly there, but my heart broke for the little girl having to walk so far. This stretch of Blanding had no sidewalks but they would be on sidewalks once they crossed Wells. Call me a bleeding heart, especially when it comes to little kids....Oh, the mom did say they were waiting to hear about getting into an apartment complex, which is good news. My, it was sad to see this, but it happens for a number of reasons.
*
Brenda N. came over this late afternoon since she was working nearby. She told me the most incredible thing---ever since she was in a car wreck, late June, she has been going to physical therapy and such to help heal her "sprung" body. The frame on her car was sprung and rendered nearly undriveable and I compared her to the car frame. Her recent MRI, as reported by the doctor, indicated that her discs are dehydrated because she does not drink enough water. Get out!!! I just cannot believe this. She is now forcing herself to drink more water daily and I promised her that I will, too, because I certainly have dehydrated discs. Maybe all this rain will help with that, too!

I thought Brenda looked like a million bucks this afternoon when she came, letting her hair grow out naturally, only scrunching it in the morning to make it look so darn cute. I think it is fun that I have both Joanne AND Brenda in the same photo, although it was taken several months ago....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi; I like the picture of Brenda....she looks softer????? Is that the word I want to use or should use. Sorry about her frame.......Mom

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Mom!

Brenda used to wear her hair longer but pulled back into a ponytail. Now she has it cut shorter and is letting grow out curly.

I will tell her you are sorry about her sprung frame!

Hugs,

Kim