My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I managed to make myself sick

I had something entirely different written here but since deleted it. My heart was sickened after reading some of the reports from the trial of two men, a father and son, who killed little Christopher Burrios two years ago. They sexually molested him, strangled him, and stuffed his body into a garbage bag. He was missing for a week before someone found the bag. I remember writing about it, how losing a child is NOT a parent's worst nightmare, but actually not knowing where your child is and what is happening to the child is much worse. The report tells how he loved Batman and Spider-Man, and how his Star Wars lightsaber was found on the side of the road....
*
On the other hand, the man who kidnapped and raped Jessica Lunsford here in Florida, died of "natural causes" after being taken from prison to an area hospital.

4 comments:

Linda M said...

Dear Kim,

You are so right about the worst must be not knowing where your child is.
I am sure you were aware of the Theresa Halbauch murder-rape-mutilation 5 years ago.After the trials were over , I remember saying to someone, no matter how horrible this was, at least THEY KNOW WHERE SHE IS.

Now we have that girl who was found after being held for 18 years. Wonderful that she was found,,but I just keep thinking about what that does to the thousands of people who have children or someone of any age in their lives missing. Too many possiblities and none good.

Linda M

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda M.:

You are the only one to comment on this, which surprises me. It must too sensitive for some to discuss.

Yes, I did hear about the Halbauch case, it was pretty awful and involved. People might still have hope of their lost children reappearing many years, almost decades, later.

Thanks for commenting!

Kim

Linda M said...

Dear Kim,
I guess I have a fascination with weird things. Are you familiar with the Steven Staynor case out in CA??(I Know my First Name is Steven)
There was a book and TV movie about it besides making the talk show rounds at the time.The boy was taken at about 7 and was found when he was 14.His family bought him Christmas gifts every year he was gone, remembering him as a little boy.Meanwhile, the guy took took him, has him up all night playing poker and smoking, getting him a hooker when he was 12.He comes home at 14, his parents remember him as being 7 and he is more like 24.
By the way,Steven Avery just had hearing this week, asking for a new trial. You could access the motions on the internet.I have a terrible fear there could be a mistrial.

Its a No Packer Sunday in WI,

Linda M

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Dear Linda M.:

Yes, I remember hearing about Steven, saw the movie too but it was a long time ago....I understand the buying of Christmas presents, considering the child to remain one. I get that!

I do hope that Avery is not granted a new trial, he is guilty and all the evidence showed that to be so.

Big Packer day tomorrow!

Kim