My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Doctor, my eyes....

....have seen the years and the slow parade of fears..." My particular fear recently is I might have to give in and get reading glasses. The text on the e-mail page of this 'up-close' laptop is smaller than my desk top, which is also further from my face when I use it than is the laptop. Working on the envelopes for Joanne is like trying to read the phone book and I find myself holding the page further from my face, especially when night falls. It might be time to surrender to age on this one. While the LASIK bought me some time, the eye surgeon did tell me he could do nothing about age with the surgery taking place over 9 years ago. There are some cute fashion frames out there, off the rack-style magnifying lenses, which will make getting older fun for me!
*
Oh, there is a man on TV who stole my job with the government! He is doing something with exercise, supposedly with the Dallas football cheerleaders, describing himself as being the "Fat Czar"! That was going to be my job, and with a tidy salary for my services, too! Humphf! What is one more czar added to the long list? "Jay" conducts some sort of boot camp for fitness, whipping these cheerleaders into shape. I wonder what time frame it took to get these ladies looking like that.....might look into this...... I often wondered what I would like being about 8"taller.
*
Some cheese popcorn was just thrown away, a bag partially consumed. When Justin and I were coming home from WI after moving Mom, I bought a small bag of cheese popcorn at the gift shop and it was just so delicious. Sunday when I stopped to get the potatoes, I saw a bag of this type of popcorn in the deli area and took it along home with me. It fell far short of the delightful bag at the airport. Not only was the flavor lacking but the hulls simply took over my teeth. Guess I am over the hankering for this type of cheese popcorn for awhile.
*
Joanne asked me to do another favor for her in my down time, and that was to research the value of some art pieces from her parent's home. They had about 25 or more pencil/ink drawings by an artist from Germany named Eberhardt. She simply wanted to know an approximate value so she could get insurance on them plus the contents of her storage unit. This artist did primarily animal and bird sketchings, making them appear more than life-like. Thanks to the Internet it did not take long to get a few estimates for her. Since the piece she left for me to price is quite small compared to some of the others, it seems if she ever wants to sell them, there will at least be a nice market for the artwork.
*
Speaking of getting the right price, the other day when I spoke with my sister-in-law, Barb, they were in the process of listing their Packer tickets on e-Bay. My nephew was there to help get them listed, a pair of tickets, north end zone, for the Packer/Viking game. I was beside myself as to why they were even thinking of selling the tickets versus use them. Barb said that pairs of tickets for this game were going for $500, so say no more! As dwellers in Brown County, where the team is located, they get put into a lottery for tickets, and this was the game they drew. Jackpot! Hopefully they will see ten times the value of the purchase price, paying for their CHRISTmas expenditures. That must mean one of them has my name! I did get my envelope with the names inside and can do my shopping when I am up in WI----oops, did I just give it away???

No comments: