My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tripping down memory lane.....

This is the reason why is it a bad idea to use the photo albums with the sticky pages, like were used in the "old days". Many of my photos have started to turn colors due to the acid in the pages and in the paper used for developing them. Take my advice and get your photos off those self-adhesive pages and into a scrapbook or pocket-style album. Preserve your memories! They are depending on you!
*
Here is an action shot of Lisa, thinking she is going to get out of the sink during her bath at Mom's house. You can see the water swishing as she gets up, her hair still full of shampoo. She very closely resembles her son Manny, who is now four. No worries, someone was standing just out of camera shot to grab her....

Red is a good color for me but not for the entire photograph! This was taken in Williamsburg, VA when Lisa was about 18 months old. I am holding Lisa while Lori and my former spouse sit on the well. Lynn is the photographer.

Here is Lisa coming across the lawn at their home on the base in Norfolk. My favorite little picture of her, looking so cheerful and cute in her engineer bibs!


When my ancient grandmother, age 87 here, cradled Lisa in her arms, she made the yet-famous statement, "She looks like Aunt Martha Cornelius", which simply brought down the house! I do not know if any of us knew Aunt Martha, perhaps Mom did, but there was no way my sainted grandmother could have picked that out with her old eyes! Lisa is wearing the outfit she wore home from the hospital. These many years later, Gabriel, Lisa's firstborn, who will soon be six, wore the same outfit home from the hospital when he was born.

Lori is holding Lisa on her lap as I am sitting on the floor in the kitchen at my family's home. This may be the same day as Grandma Sickles famous comment. Now all babies look like Aunt Martha Cornelius!! Even the boys!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi; In the last picture it's amazing how much you and Alayna look alike!! Thanks for the memories.....you also spoiled Kerry when she was little.....I can see all of you standing by her crib watching her sleep....Off to b.c. Mom

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Mom!

Or today, Grandma K.!!!

We are big in the spoiling department but because I was older when Lisa was born, could appreciate her more and do more with and for her.

I wonder if Alayna notices the resemblance between us. She might be horrified! So many people think Lisa and I look alike but I never caught the Kim/Alayna match-up.

What do the rest of you think???

Have a good time at Bible class!

Kim

Anonymous said...

Your grandma was funny!!! Yes, Lisa does look alot like you...and she's blessed to have you!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Dear Anon.:

My grandma was a hoot, she came out with the funniest things.

Thanks for saying Lisa looks like me, I appreciate it but don't know that she does....

Kim

(might this be Linda J.?)

Anonymous said...

It is neat how much mom looks like Grandma. I guess we all look like in some way don't we. Lisa really does look like Manny. Just think now on Friday Miss Alayna is going to be 18. Got to run. Cool sunny hugs today!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill:

I suppose one day we will look like our mom....it's that "mirror, mirror on the wall, I am my mother after all!" thing.

It's uncanny how children look like their parents did as babies, or even when they are older!

I will have to think of something to say about Alayna now, too, I suppose. I already had a picture of her this week, though.....

Have a great day!