My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, December 25, 2009

CHRISTmas Joy!

My house is quiet right now but soon will be filled with activity as we hustle around to eat some breakfast before going to church. As I write this, I do not know if Justin is here or not because I had to go to bed before he made his final decision about running back home to pick up some stuff or not. Only Justin and I went to the candlelight service last night as the Schippers had attended the children's service with me earlier and just wanted to sit tight after their long car ride. The candlelight service was very nice, and had the special treat of having our dear member, Gordy, in attendance. I went to see at the hospital this past week, but he had been released to the nursing home. Gordy was the man of the hour, except for Jesus, at church last night!
*
Another special feature last night was that the four young men who basically grew up together were all in attendance and I was able to capture them in a photo. Mark, Justin, Robbie, and David used to all hang out around my friend, Cindy's, van between Sunday school and worship because she would go to her car to have a smoke and some quiet---right! Her sons are Mike and David, and the kids sort of congregated around 'fun' Ms. Cindy. The moms and grandma's of these fellas have asked for copies of the picture so once I get a spare moment will download the photos and print them off. Twila came to me after we took the picture and said it made her eyes tear up to see the four guys together again....I hope they cherish it as much as their families do! It likely does because Robbie was the one who told me the four guys were in church together...he knows.
*
Part of the candlelight reading and song service was singing "O Holy Night" as Robbie played the organ. On the 3rd stanza another man, Kurt, took over on the piano as Robbie sang so beautifully. Kurt does not sight read music, plays by memory and also played several more carols and hymns during the offering. For the children's service, I got all choked up when the little ones, dressed as shepherds and angels, came walking down the aisle, holding hands and singing. I could barely see straight after that, Daniel looked so absolutely darling and sings his little heart out. Such enthusiasm at this age! They truly loved to tell the story of Jesus and His love!
*
It was nice to see and hear the young people being involved in the services this year, with three young men doing readings or recitations in the children's service, and three older young men (huh?) doing readings during the candlelight service. Besides celebrating Jesus' birth, it was just a hoot to see folks I had not seen in a while and just plain greeting folks at CHRISTmas! Even my friend, Wendy, came to church and I got her to sit with us. I had tried and tried in November to track her down, unsuccessfully, so last night I got her phone numbers that work so she can no longer escape!!
*
It is time to move around in the house to wake my guests. Make coffee, that will work! My family and friends at First German are getting some sort of surprise this morning, and we are speculating that perhaps the former pastor might be stopping by for a visit. He is the man who sang to Mom last year at his going away party, "Now the Light Has Gone Away", in German, as a special tribute to her. No dry eyes in that house that night and maybe they will get to see each other again today! Only guessing that is what the surprise will be....I will let you know what it is when I find out!
*
Merry CHRISTmas!

4 comments:

Suzanne Chappell said...

Merry Christmas, my dear friend! You left out the part from the Christmas program that was my favorite... the chuckling choir, trying to sing with the kids! Daniel and Jordyn really put so much enthusiasm into their singing, didn't they?

What a long day it has been. The house is quiet now, while even John is asleep in his chair. I was awakened by a poking little finger into my arm at 5:30am, "Excuse me! Santa came and left me a bike! And Daniel and me got scooters! I got TWO convection countertop ovens! Yay me, and my camp stove oven!

CHRISTmas Hugs!
Suzanne

Darla said...

What a very busy and blessed day! I hope to find a church that I'm able to call home, like you! I miss that so much!

Merry CHRISTmas to you and your family Kim!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi back to you, my dear friend! And I mean that....I was doing fine until I saw Jim B. chuckling and because he knew they were supposed to whispering but were not, well, it was just so darn cute!!! yes, they are enthusiastic singers!

I was a cooking fool today, making all the food for the feast except the purchased sweet potato souffle and the dressing Joanne brought. Whew! Needless to say we had leftovers! The presents in our house remain unopened until Alayna gets here but I am fine with that...like the suspense!

Told the worms in the refrigerator story tonight,

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Darla!

I certainly do love my church family (ies) which fill in the gap where my blood family leaves off. I do hope you get yourself involved in a church, the sooner the better, so you can share the joy and Good News about the Savior!

Merry CHRISTmas to you and yours, too! Enjoy for a long time...

Hugs,

Kim